Advice to MTB race organisers

Henley 1

There is a common thread absent in most broshures/sites that splash mtb events: the level of skills required for the route. Some riders like it technical, others like it rather far and tough to finish …. But sadly most route descriptions revolve around how scenic it is, how friendly the locals are, how valuable the goodies bag is …. L

Tell us something like this: “of the 100 km total distance, about 70 km is made up of undulated gravel roads and 25 km of jeep track and steep climbs (350 total ascent). About 5 km can be classified as serious single track stuff “ (Formal difficulty rating is even better of course.)

Then we know if that race is for us or not.

Good idea, but the problem is this: there is no standard rating system in use that events or trails refer to. Technical for me might be easy for you. Only way to combat this would be to have a standardised rating system in place that EVERYONE sticks to. 

For reference on how good the industry is at sticking to standards: have a look at Cane Creek's headset options. 

Good idea, but the problem is this: there is no standard rating system in use that events or trails refer to. Technical for me might be easy for you. Only way to combat this would be to have a standardised rating system in place that EVERYONE sticks to.

For reference on how good the industry is at sticking to standards: have a look at Cane Creek's headset options.

How do trails do it?

Isn't there a rough standard of blue green red black?

I on the other hand like a little mystery. Besides, I've had "easy"

Routes in tough conditions that changes the game in its entirety. I've also done events where I've done parts of the routes with friends on training rides. Put 2000 wheels through certain sections and it rides very differently at the back opposed to getting in first. I try and be prepared for almost anything. An accurate profile with total ascent will do just fine for me.

Unduros are long,hard and technical AF

So rather do them if you want a 70k marathon with serious single track. :)

The vibe is also much better, trust me 25km of enduro feels like 100km of nissan trailseker its just 1000000000000000 times more exciting and fun.

I would like some indication of how technical a route is, though not for myself.

I've started riding MTB more often with my wife, and sections I would previously not have given any thought at all are suddenly super-technical now that I'm trying to NOT scare her away from mountainbiking for life... something a recent race very nearly accomplished (miracle that I'm still married, one fall and lots of getting off and pushing the bike later)

No idea how it could be done consistently.

No you don't need an "enduro bike" to do enduros 

I have a friend that does it on a 90mm stumpjumper hardtail......

I would like some indication of how technical a route is, though not for myself.

I've started riding MTB more often with my wife, and sections I would previously not have given any thought at all are suddenly super-technical now that I'm trying to NOT scare her away from mountainbiking for life... something a recent race very nearly accomplished (miracle that I'm still married, one fall and lots of getting off and pushing the bike later)

No idea how it could be done consistently.

As mentioned above we need a standardised system for rating trails that everyone sticks to

Archived