The Classics

'Dale

• Replies 7.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

70km remaining from 198.3km

Trek-Segafredo lead the peloton in support of Jasper Stuyven, while Jurgen Roelandts (Lotto Soudal) chases back on after a puncture. There are around 60 riders in the main body of the peloton, 5:37 down on the six leaders. The Grivko group is 3:48 down.

Onto the Kruisberg for Bagdonas, Van Goethem, Jules, Teunissen, Howard and Van Hecke, 5:18 the margin.

????????????

64km remaining from 198.3km

The speed is ratcheting up in the peloton, which has been split in two by a crash that saw Jacopo Guarnieri come down. Greg Van Avermaet's BMC team have taken up the reins and have increased the tempo significantly on the run-in to the Taaienberg, where the finale begins in earnest.

Star power:

Over the top of the Taaienberg, Van Avermaet, Sagan, Vanmarcke and Stuyven exchange turns at the front of a very strung out bunch. Indeed, by the base of this descent, we could have an elite group of ten riders or so. They are 2:08 down on the fragmenting leading group.

????????????????????????????????????????

Sagan, Van Avermaet, Vanmarcke and Stuyven are the chief drivers of a rather elite group of 10 riders. They are the third group on the road as things stand, 2:02 down on the early escapees, but this could well be the crucial move.

Team Sky are attempting to marshal a chase in the sizeable third group, and Jasper Stuyven seems willing to contribute. When only Sagan was working ahead, they had every chance of - eventually - latching back on, but with Vanmarcke et al now seemingly committed to the pace-making, it might be a rather stiffer task.