The Classics

'Dale

It's all kicking off in the women's race with 50-odd kilometres on the clock. Tagliaferro and Mustonen were caught after the Bergseweg, but since then the peloton has split, with two big groups and a few smaller ones out on the road.

• Replies 7.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

As the men's race remains calm for now, it's anything but for the women. That 35-strong front peloton has split to smithereens over the Cauberg, and a group including Van der Breggen, Blaak, Deignan, Longo-Borghini, Rivera, Ferrand-Prevot, and Niewiadoma (a bloody strong group, then), is off the front. But it looks like more riders are joining and the situation is changing all the time.

Edited by 'Dale

In the women's race Annemiek Van Vleuten has attacked from the chase group and has made it up to the leaders, dragging Van der Breggen and Rivera with her. So there are six up front with 7.5 to go. And now Van der Breggen attacks and goes solo. Who's going to take responsibility to shut it down?

It's looking good for Van der Breggen in the women's race with a sizeable lead and just 3km to go. The chase has hardly been a strong one - Deignan wasn't going to work, and Rivera simply left it to the others. Just over 2km to go as they go over the Cauberg for the final time.

Rivera and Van Vleuten dropped. This is now a race for second between Deignan, Longo-Borghini, and Niewiadoma.

Anna Van der Breggen wins the women's Amstel Gold Race

The European and Olympic champion has plenty of time to sit up and celebrate a fine victory. Rivera and Van Vleuten rejoin the group behind but Deignan produces a strong sprint to make it a one-two for Boels Dolmans. The pair embrace beyond the finish line - a great day's work.

⚠️⚠️⚠️

130km remaining from 264.6km

Some crashes in the bunch but nothing serious. The race is dipping into Belgium at the half-way mark.

Philippe Gilbert and Michael Valgren among the riders who hit the deck, but the Tour of Flanders champ and last year's Amstel runner-up are back in the peloton now.

⚠️⚠️⚠️

Crash for Benoot, who has a teammate to help him back to the peloton.

83km remaining from 264.6km

The attacks are duly neutralised and the peloton comes down the finishing straight as one big bunch, and they do so 3:45 in arrears.

69km remaining from 264.6km

The intensification in the peloton has caused the gap to the break to tumble. Just two minutes now.

BMC are piling it on here. A hard, exacting race would suit Van Avermaet and he's clearly told his troops to soften everyone else up.

56km remaining from 264.6km

Grellier takes a flyer in the break, sensing that something needs to be done to stem the tide. Boom sets off in pursuit of the Direct Energie man.

51km remaining from 264.6km

Most of the breakaway members are caught, but Grellier ploughs on alone, with a group of four behind him also trying to delay the inevitable.