What IS Adapter to Use Where?

Kalahari Vegmot

Hi guys, I've decided to move to 203mm rotors front and rear, but am a bit lost on what IS adapters to use where. I've got IS mounts on the fork and frame; so, my question is: Can I buy two of these adapters from Wiggle:

http://www.wiggle.com/shimano-disc-brake-caliper-adapter/

and choose the "Rear IS 203mm" option? IS is IS right? Or do I need a specific Front IS adapter? I've heard that the IS mount's spacing is different from the frame and fork, so could I theoretically just buy two different sized "Rear IS Adapters"?

Thanks in advance!

Default mounts are generally 140mm rear and 160mm front, so the two will be different. You'll need front and rear 203mm.

Hi guys, I've decided to move to 203mm rotors front and rear, but am a bit lost on what IS adapters to use where. I've got IS mounts on the fork and frame; so, my question is: Can I buy two of these adapters from Wiggle:

http://www.wiggle.com/shimano-disc-brake-caliper-adapter/

and choose the "Rear IS 203mm" option? IS is IS right? Or do I need a specific Front IS adapter? I've heard that the IS mount's spacing is different from the frame and fork, so could I theoretically just buy two different sized "Rear IS Adapters"?

Thanks in advance!

Front and rear IS mounts do not have the same layout so whatever size you get you will need separate front and rear adapters. Don't buy 2 fronts or 2 rears

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Ok, thanks a lot, I'm beginning to understand a bit better now... Will go to lbs when I have the chance as well. But why would the layout be different? The physical mount is identical is'nt it?

Ok, thanks a lot, I'm beginning to understand a bit better now... Will go to lbs when I have the chance as well. But why would the layout be different? The physical mount is identical is'nt it?

The position of the calliper is moved differently for front and back which is why you can't safely use the same adapter for front and rear.

It's also worth checking the maximum rotor your fork and frame can accommodate. Not every ride can take 20cm.

The position of the calliper is moved differently for front and back which is why you can't safely use the same adapter for front and rear.

It's also worth checking the maximum rotor your fork and frame can accommodate. Not every ride can take 20cm.

Thanks. I'll need some help with that. I've got a RS Duke SL fork and 2013 Axis A90 frame-26" Is there perhaps a way to physically measure?

Thanks. I'll need some help with that. I've got a RS Duke SL fork and 2013 Axis A90 frame-26" Is there perhaps a way to physically measure?

No, it will be in the spec sheet.

Can't see why you'd need 203s on that setup - a 28mm stanchion fork will most likely not be up to that challenge.

OP, why do you want to put such big rotors on your bike?

180/160mm is about the max that I would go on a bike like that.

Can't see why you'd need 203s on that setup - a 28mm stanchion fork will most likely not be up to that challenge.

It's 30mm stanchion-not that it'll make such a big difference...

OP, why do you want to put such big rotors on your bike?

180/160mm is about the max that I would go on a bike like that.

Haha! I knew this would come up...

1. Bigger looks better.

2. My brakes aren't the most powerful, so I could do with the "15% Improved Braking Power" over 180mm rotors.

3. CWC are currently running a great special on 203mm rotors.

4. The adaptors cost the same either way, so might as well...

Archived