Fat biking during holidays

coppi

Morning all

I will be down at the coast from next week in Umdloti and look forward to riding on the beach, actually I am extremely excited like a kid.

I bought an entry level repid fat bike ( here on the hub for R3000 new ) and if it really is not such a great idea at least I have not broken the bank......

Should I be excited?

Input and tips will be highly appreciated, thanks

Ha ha, yes, you should be excited.

Make the tyre pressure as low as you can. Soft sand will still give you a serious work out. It does not just float over it like magic, you still have to pedal. Time rides for low tide if you want an easier one. Remember that the beach almost always have wind and is completely exposed. 

Wash your bike with fresh water immediately after every time you ride on the beach, even if you kept it dry. You will see surface rust on the drive train, don't stress about it. Just throw more lube at it than you usually do and clean it more regularly as well.

Sommer just........to make you drool!  

Ag bugger off man! Showing stuff like that here when I'm stuck in a 4mx4m office with no view... Shame on you!

Ha ha, yes, you should be excited.

Make the tyre pressure as low as you can. Soft sand will still give you a serious work out. It does not just float over it like magic, you still have to pedal. Time rides for low tide if you want an easier one. Remember that the beach almost always have wind and is completely exposed. 

Wash your bike with fresh water immediately after every time you ride on the beach, even if you kept it dry. You will see surface rust on the drive train, don't stress about it. Just throw more lube at it than you usually do and clean it more regularly as well.

The bike has flat pedals, should I leave them or replace with clip-ins?

The bike has flat pedals, should I leave them or replace with clip-ins?

I think ride with whatever you are used to.

I know that the guys on the north coast can now go do fat bike tours at Princes Grant as well .

They supply everything including the fatty :clap:

Archived