Newb has questions- please be patient :)

Dullscalpel

Some of us think so. Whilst theHub is a great place to learn about your bike and riding in general, actually being on your bike and learning about the bicycle and your how your body responds is going to be your primary source of learning over time.

We're just here to let you know you aren't unique. We were all clueless :D Still are probably. We just fake it better than you

Bahahaha!! An honest response!! :lol:

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

ok so I tried the checking and looking at the gears this morning. Total disaster and nearly went down a drainage ditch. I honestly do think that riding by 'feel' is a much better way to learn. Everybody is different but I'm kind of glad I learnt (and still learning) by feel than over thinking about it and checking.

ok so I tried the checking and looking at the gears this morning. Total disaster and nearly went down a drainage ditch. I honestly do think that riding by 'feel' is a much better way to learn. Everybody is different but I'm kind of glad I learnt (and still learning) by feel than over thinking about it and checking.

I will learn from your almost crash! I guess I am overthinking it a bit

Gears take practice, Get lots of TITS

2 things to remember:

When shifting try do it when not pedaling hard, back off power bit till chain is engaged properly. This will prevent broken derailleurs and chains and it prevents horrible feeling you get when chain grinds its way into new gear.

Second thing is about front (Chainrings) and back (Cassette), many posts above gives you the low down of how they work. 

I would start with back(Cassette) changes usually right hand side, this will develop a feel for the different settings.

Once your more comfortable add front (Chainrings), or go 1x.

Good luck and remember TITS (Time in the Saddle)

I am sure it is all about experience and that I will get better at it, eventually. I stay in a busy area so it isn't easy to hop on a bike and cycle around in the traffic playing with gears! :)

Find a parking lot nearby to you and practice your gearing there. I'd advise the same for learning to take out and replace your water bottle (or bidon) from it's cage on the bike. Unless of course you are using a hydration backpack like a camelbak, which is easier to use although it goes against "the Rules".

Since you're running a 1× try and find a gear that is easy for you to keep a strong steady cadence when climbing. Play around a wee bit to find that gear. Essentially you want one that will allow you to climb smoothly which in turn should allow you to climb quickly.

Also have your bike set up looked at (if you haven't already) to ensure that you're 100% comfortable when riding.

Also are you northern suburbs or southern suburbs? That will help with recommendations re bike shops to visit.

I am sure it is all about experience and that I will get better at it, eventually. I stay in a busy area so it isn't easy to hop on a bike and cycle around in the traffic playing with gears! :)

Sent from my SM-J200H using Tapatalk

Also are you northern suburbs or southern suburbs? That will help with recommendations re bike shops to visit.

Southern suburbs, but I have to travel through NS for work, so it really doesn't matter too much

Southern suburbs, but I have to travel through NS for work, so it really doesn't matter too much

NS I honestly don't know much about but I think that Chris Willemse has a store or two out that way.

As for SS I honestly recommend the following shops, mostly because I've always been given good service, Cranx (in Sun Valley opposite King of Kings Baptist and the local malls and the owner is a hubber - dirtypot), Bridge Cycles (in Diep Rivier, pleasant people and a relaxed vibe) and Olympic Cycles (in Lansdowne road, Claremont; friendly staff and decent prices).

Hope that helps.

NS I honestly don't know much about but I think that Chris Willemse has a store or two out that way.

As for SS I honestly recommend the following shops, mostly because I've always been given good service, Cranx (in Sun Valley opposite King of Kings Baptist and the local malls and the owner is a hubber - dirtypot), Bridge Cycles (in Diep Rivier, pleasant people and a relaxed vibe) and Olympic Cycles (in Lansdowne road  Imam Haron Rd Claremont; friendly staff and decent prices).

Hope that helps.

fixed it for you

Archived