joBerg2c. Nine hundred kms. Nine Days. One Gear

BlackBikes

So all I need is to 2.4 tyres, dropped to less than a bar, chunky grips and padded grips and it'll feel like I'm riding a dual sus accross the free state.

Done

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

How was Trans Alp for you? I did it on my SS two years ago and mental wise it was the hardest thing i ever ever did on a bike. it´s a shame that you are not in for joberg2c man!

Hey Danny

Yeah. I loved it. I am more of a Diesel engine so I tend to ride myself into a race. 

I would love to be doing J2C but I honestly can't afford it and have Expedition Africa in May, so have to prioritise and pick and choose leave time and events every year.

The hardest 'bicycle only' race I have ever done on the rigid SS was Freedom Challenge. Non stop through the night for 2300km through the most diverse terrain and weather conditions.

From mountain portages in minus 10 andd snow to 30 degree long flat grinds. Sleep deprived, filthy, lonely and often not 100% sure you're going in the right direction.

14 to 18 odd days, 2300km, 37000m elevation and just brutal.

If you ever get the chance and know how to use a map and compass, this is an amazing way to see South Africa and test your mental and physical fortitude.

Not sure if there's another thread on this already.

I see joBerg2c will this year have a single speed challenge sponsored by Miele.

http://joberg2c.co.za/miele-appliances-puts-new-spin-on-old-mutual-joberg2c/

You are allowed to change your gear ratio every day, which helps. But you still have to be seriously tough (read crazy) to attempt this!

Have any hubbers signed up?

This immediately came in in Top 5 in my bucket list...

• 1 month later...

4 days to go guys! I can't wait!

I have serious FOMO... seeing as I am not riding j2c...

Enjoy boys and girls.

• 3 weeks later...

Super proud of my partner for doing J2C single speed and solo - I had to pull out of the race at the last minute as the wife needed some surgery. Watching the daily highlights had me so jealous  :thumbdown:

Archived