[Event] Great White MTB & Trail Run

Naomi4

Event Name: Great White MTB & Trail Run
When: 15 April 2017
Where: Lomond Wine Estate, Gansbaai, Western Cape
Category: MTB

Come and explore amazing routes between fynbos valleys just outside Gansbaai (where the Great Whites are) over Easter Weekend.

There is a route for everyone. Do not underestimate the longer distances, these are very technical and challenging routes. The short distances are more suitable for the family and less experienced rider.

Mountain Bike

55km - 08:00 - R250

35km - 08:30 - R180

15km - 09:00 - R100

Trail Run

30km - 08:15 - R250

12km - 08:45 - R120

5km - 09:15 - R50

Registration and Late entries: From 06:30 until the start of your race on the morning of the event at Flower Valley. Late entries R20 extra.

Timing: SAS timing chip. The same we use for all the Amoija Events / Warrior / Impi Challenge. Buy one for R50 or rent one for R10 on the day.

Part of the proceeds goes to the Flower Valley Conservation Trust.

For more information contact us at 083 267 8164

Go to Event Page

hubevents-17619-0-30532600-1486970910_thumb.jpg

• 1 month later...

Posted this in the tread that Mamil started. 

It is similar to the Funky - but the long route is a little more fun and the venue allows for some wine  tasting etc afterwards.

The rains have made the tracks run beautifully and it is a little bit more 'rustic' with the bit of vegetation growth we have had.

A couple of reasons why you should do this ride (If you haven't done the funky)

1 - the views are outstanding - mountains, valleys, sea.  Birds and even a buck or two

2 - the climbs are proper climbs - long and ongoing, short and steep, but always worth it.

3 - the downs are proper downs - not overly technical, but some of the enduro guys we have here like them.  You do not have to do any of the jumps on the one track - just roll them.  Some of the descents have loose rocks and some ruts - but that just adds to the fun if you ride at speed.

4 - The sandy climb has been taken out, and the bits that might be left will be firm after Wednesdays rains - perfect!

5 - The venue is new - at Lomond Wine Estate next to the dam  - should be very nice, and those that like wine tasting will enjoy it even more.

6 - Prizes are cool!

7 - And early bird registrations get a pair of mohair socks - those that have a pair will tell of their awesomeness.

8 - Did I say the views are something the climb for?

9 - And the downs too!

10 - And loads to do in the area - there are campsites and accommodations available in the area quite close to the venue.

Did the medium route today - These trails are amongst my favourites after my first crack at the rockets funky fynbos last year and now this Great White - I did the medium which was a bit short for me - will try the longer route next year.

Lovely trails - really beautiful scenery - mile after mile of fynbos, very special place and long may it remain unspoilt.

Modest sized field - I think I heard it's the first time the event is being held and I only heard about it through a last minute email.

Nicely organised - but just one thing as a general note to all event organisers - toilets are crucial. There were two lavatories serving trailrunners and mtb'ers - queues and flushing problems are not cool. Use some of the entrance money to have a row of portaloos - it makes such a difference.

I'll be back next year for this one.