Boschendal A-Frames

eitan

I always thought of myself as quite a technically adept rider. I ride where most other riders walk. But today I met my nemesis. Boschendal erected some new fencing and installed A-frames to cross over them. Now Oak Valley a-frames are no problem for me - I ride those with confidence. But I just cannot get over the Boschendal ones. I tried though, and had to untangle myself from the barbed wire fence I fell into. Few lacerations and a sore back later I tried the next one; this time I almost flipped and landed on my butt. 

Can any of the more skilled riders share some tips on getting over these, there must be a technique or something that I am missing?

Walk... hahaha I have also fallen onto some barbed wire fences going across a-frames!

On a serious note though, practice trials type skills in the parking lot and on smaller logs and obstacles, I have found it helps reduce my crashed when going slow, especially on steep obstacles and big boulders.

I'm not a "more skilled rider" by any stretch of the imagination and I haven't seen the Boschendal A frames - there are a few on Welvergelegen Z trail and the Oak valley ones you mention. My strategy for these is to make sure I've got plenty of speed going up the ramp and to make sure that I'm in easy enough gear to pedal strongly if I see that I need more - then at the top I make sure that my pedals are level because on most of them the apex is too steep to accommodate a pedal stroke without a pedal strike and then weight to the back of the bike as I go over. I've had to put down a foot at the top a few times but no crashes on this kind of obstacle yet.

What's your tactic Eitan?

I'm not a "more skilled rider" by any stretch of the imagination and I haven't seen the Boschendal A frames - there are a few on Welvergelegen Z trail and the Oak valley ones you mention. My strategy for these is to make sure I've got plenty of speed going up the ramp and to make sure that I'm in easy enough gear to pedal strongly if I see that I need more - then at the top I make sure that my pedals are level because on most of them the apex is too steep to accommodate a pedal stroke without a pedal strike and then weight to the back of the bike as I go over. I've had to put down a foot at the top a few times but no crashes on this kind of obstacle yet.

What's your tactic Eitan?

I normally just race over them, I'll rather control excess speed at the top to prevent fly-over. But Boschendal ones have no run-up, you turn and then they're in front of you. But i;m sure going to nail them next time.

Also - I find walking these things is more dangerous than riding them!

Easier to climb the fence!

Archived