Berg 100

MJ the Expat

Has anyone doen this before? Won't be able to do the K2C this year and was pointed to this race by a friend as it looks similar to the K2C...

My wife is keen to enter but race organisers aren't getting back to me regarding transport back to Himeville. So if anyone is doing this race and has organised transport back from Notties to Underberg please let me know ASAP.

We're staying in the area on that weekend in any case... no baby sitters so I can't race :(

One lady and one bike...

Edited by Flemish Lion

I've done it a few times. Very nice race. 100km of gravel, no technical sections. Lots of climbing and the water tables are well stocked. The only hiccup is that it is a point to point race. they do have a shuttle service available if you dont have a back up driver.

Scenery is awesome as you ride along the Berg .

I've done it a few times. Very nice race. 100km of gravel, no technical sections. Lots of climbing and the water tables are well stocked. The only hiccup is that it is a point to point race. they do have a shuttle service available if you dont have a back up driver.

Scenery is awesome as you ride along the Berg .

Yes. Point2point makes it difficult.... and there is only an option to get your car driven to the finish (which I'm waiting to hear more about)... but surely they could have a bus & trailer option from Notties back to Himeville... to drive a car across for one person makes little sense to me...

Hopefully they can come up with some solution... and no I'm not picking her up with two small kids in the car ;) 

This is a good race. Point to point is tricky. I caught an early morning shuttle from Notties to the start two years ago. That wasn't great, but once the riding started, it was really worth it. Good climbing. Nothing technical. Beautiful part of the country. If you can get the logistics sorted, it's definitely worth doing.

Hi Flemish. Can I maybe help with more info for you? The vehicle shuttle option is full, but there is still an option to get the shuttle from finish (Notties) to start on the morning of the race. Its an early start then, but if you are in a jam......

You can email katie@bikelife.co.za to book.

Hi Flemish. Can I maybe help with more info for you? The vehicle shuttle option is full, but there is still an option to get the shuttle from finish (Notties) to start on the morning of the race. Its an early start then, but if you are in a jam......

Thanks for the info Devlin.

We're staying outside Underberg (21km on Drak Gardens road) so getting to Notties at 3.30 isn't feasible.

Hence an option of a bus with trailer back to the start should perhaps be considered by the organisers (for future editions) as logistics will prevent many from not entering the race.

Let me know if you hear of anyone driving back to Underberg after the race.

Thanks,

Tijl.

Perhaps a lift back to Hillcrest with you can work as my wife's parents will be driving through to Underberg in the evening :)

They don't have space to pick her and the bike up on the way through...

Thanks for the info Devlin.

We're staying outside Underberg (21km on Drak Gardens road) so getting to Notties at 3.30 isn't feasible.

Hence an option of a bus with trailer back to the start should perhaps be considered by the organisers (for future editions) as logistics will prevent many from not entering the race.

Let me know if you hear of anyone driving back to Underberg after the race.

Thanks,

Tijl.

Hi Tijl. We actually used to do this but a huge complication is WHEN eveyone finishes. There is a 6 and a half hour gap between first and last place so trying to co-ordinate that and keep folks happy is a very hard task!! We are staying up to sort everything out on the Sunday but I will see if there is anyone else driving back. Maybe give this chap a ring too. He lives in Underberg and is doing the race. He may just know someone. Derek Christie 082 318 9995

Hi Tijl. We actually used to do this but a huge complication is WHEN eveyone finishes. There is a 6 and a half hour gap between first and last place so trying to co-ordinate that and keep folks happy is a very hard task!! We are staying up to sort everything out on the Sunday but I will see if there is anyone else driving back. Maybe give this chap a ring too. He lives in Underberg and is doing the race. He may just know someone. Derek Christie (number removed)

Thanks.

From a participant point of view it all seems so easy to sort out... so thanks for clarifying the complications.

All the best!

Edited by Flemish Lion

Thanks.

From a participant point of view it all seems so easy to sort out... so thanks for clarifying the complications.

All the best!

No problem at all. Let us know if you dont come right with Derek and we can keep our ears open for others going back that way. Quite a few folks riding from the Underberg area and Derek knows most of them. Cheers