Trainer bike help please

Ved789

Hi,

I'm a newbie. Been trolling the forum but haven't posted.

I've been riding for the last 2 years. Have 56cm Trek.

I have just bought a trainer for the winter. My wife is now keen to get some exercise in on the trainer (casual - watch a series and ride along).

I'm trying to figure out if I could buy one training bike that we both could use, as opposed to constantly switching bikes.

My height is 1.78m. Her height is 1.6m.

I spoke to a bike shop and they said that a 54cm Trek will work fine. All that needs to be adjusted or changed between the 2 of us riding is the seat height/position.

I've googled fitting guides et al.

From the experience here, what do you guys suggest. Is this doable?

I think a 54cm will work for me while training but worried if it will work for my wife ?

Tx

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The critical thing when spinning is the saddle position, both height and setback. Bar position not that important.

Any bike that you can raise the saddle height and get the saddle position the same as your road bike with be fine.

As you are only spinning with it, I'd suggest picking up an older bike out of the classifieds rather than buying new from a shop. After all it just needs to turn the back wheel when you pedal.

You will definately want to fit a quick release on the seat post adjuster rather than a bolt - can't really comment on the frame size - guess as small as you can manage and hope it's small enough for her.

Edit - but if you are going to buy a bike for the trainer why not buy one in her size and just use your existing bike on the trainer for yourself?

Edited by V12man

Edit - but if you are going to buy a bike for the trainer why not buy one in her size and just use your existing bike on the trainer for yourself?

Just see that becoming a head-ache (swapping bikes) ... and general laziness [emoji3]

As you are only spinning with it, I'd suggest picking up an older bike out of the classifieds rather than buying new from a shop. After all it just needs to turn the back wheel when you pedal.

Tx

Because it's cool to have a bike just for the IDT?

Seems to me a bike swap would take the same or less time as readjusting a seat post every time... but you are right a dedicated bike for the trainer is cool... if it fits you.... cooler still is 2 trainers and 2 bikes... joint suffering... :)

I have an old silverback 26" that is set up on the IDT permanently for both my wife and myself. I am 1,8 tall and she is 1,65.......all we do is change the seat height which has a his and her marking on it.

I have also installed a flat/clip combination pedal as I spin clipped in and she does not, and all is well.

It's an entry level GIANT IDT and I tend to run out of resistance, so at times I apply the rear brake enough to simulate a steep incline ( am I stupid ? ) and I have all sorts of ideas to  make my rear wheel as heavy as possible to act as some sort of flywheel               ( again, am I stupid ?)

Comments and advice are welcome  :clap:

Edited by coppi

I see some issues in the future with a stripped seat post clamp. I'm sure they not designed to be fiddled with 2-3 times a day.

Buy your wife a bike and get her to start riding outdoors too, and swapping bikes on the trainer shouldn't take your more than a minute.

I see some issues in the future with a stripped seat post clamp. I'm sure they not designed to be fiddled with 2-3 times a day.

Buy your wife a bike and get her to start riding outdoors too, and swapping bikes on the trainer shouldn't take your more than a minute.

Hi V, she does have a bike ( a fattie ) which she enjoys for its simplicity ( revo grip shift and only 1x7 )