Air travel with 2 bikes?

Henley 1

Please comment on my plan: Bike ONE goes into its Bike Safe complete with wheels. Bike TWO goes into the mscl (“my special check-in luggage” – high quality lockable aluminium or fibre glass box within the normally acceptable airport specs in size and weight. Still to be bought). Bike TWO travels without wheels and shares the mscl with clothes, shoes, helmet etc.

What I am asking effectively is: can a road bike without wheels fit into a case small enough to still qualify as normal check-in luggage? Removal of seat and handle bars?

Thanx

I know that Emirates have changed their baggage rules in April 2016. Before this date your bicycles could happily be transported as long as you were within your weight allowance .

However the new rules are very restrictive - your luggage dimensions [per case/box] may not exceed 150cm [length + width + height].And unless you have a folding bike, you will exceed those dimensions. With Emirates you are charged $250 PER LEG of your flight. So it'll be a shock when you get to check-in! Other airlines are doing similar changes to the luggage size restrictions. PLEASE check your airline baggage allowance very carefully. You may find some airlines [bA] are still allowing bicycles free [as part of your baggage]

You can fit a medium road frame in a wheel box with enough disassembly - I have one in my study waiting for a lift to the UK.

Thanx MAK! Lufthansa spcifies 158cm - little larger. Will check BA out.

V12man, what are the dimensions of your waiting wheel box?

Thanx MAK! Lufthansa spcifies 158cm - little larger. Will check BA out.

V12man, what are the dimensions of your waiting wheel box?

820x650x170 - so totals 164cm - I could maybe take 4cm out in total..... maybe 6... but then it will be VERY tight.

Sorry it took so long to respond - took me a while to find this post again