Pyga Oneten29 - Shimano XT 1x11 Chainline issues

LouisS

Hi Guys, i've just got me a Shimano 1x11 XT upgrade kit for my OneTen29. Will be running the 11/42 Casette with a Shimano XT 1x Crank (32T Chainring). I see that some people (not necessarily Pyga) are having trouble with the chainline. Anyone else running the same setup and any issues? Should i consider getting spacers to get the chainring closer to the frame and 42t ring of the casette? If so where do you get the spacers?

Thx in advance.

Hi Guys, i've just got me a Shimano 1x11 XT upgrade kit for my OneTen29. Will be running the 11/42 Casette with a Shimano XT 1x Crank (32T Chainring). I see that some people (not necessarily Pyga) are having trouble with the chainline. Anyone else running the same setup and any issues? Should i consider getting spacers to get the chainring closer to the frame and 42t ring of the casette? If so where do you get the spacers?

Thx in advance.

Interesting. I would have thought that a Pyga would be the last bike to have chainline problems with the +five design. Isn't the cassette further outboard than most other bikes?

If you backpedal while on the 42t and the chain doesn't drop down, then I wouldn't bother with spacers.

Sent from my E5823 using Tapatalk

Interesting. I would have thought that a Pyga would be the last bike to have chainline problems with the +five design. Isn't the cassette further outboard than most other bikes?

If you backpedal while on the 42t and the chain doesn't drop down, then I wouldn't bother with spacers.

Sent from my E5823 using Tapatalk

It is only the Stage and Stage Max which has the +five design.

Also not saying that it is a issue, just wanted to hear from Oneten29 owners running the same setup and if they are experiencing any problems?

• 6 months later...

Just got my new 110 frame built up with 1x11 XT. Seems I also have a chainline issue. Noise on the biggest sprocket and backpedal chaindrop on the biggest two sprockets. Running the 11-46 casette.

I see one member here made spacers. However in the post your Pyga thread almost half of the bikes are running xt 1x11 setups. Surely there is another solution. Any ideas?

Check the Q factor of your crankset, could perhaps be that, I had an issue with my original xx1 crankset and the problem disappeared when I changed. Give Hylton as call at PYGA

Thanks. I’ll investigate that.

As far as I know there are only 2 xt crank versions - boost and normal. Do most people not notice they have this issue?

When I went 1x11 on my 110 I also experienced chaindrop. Setup was SRAM GX with DM cSixx 34t oval chainring, 11-46t Sunrace cassette and KMC X11-93 chain. Whatever I did I had constant drop from the 46t when backpedalling while the bike was on the stand. Also tried a SRAM and Shimano chain and still had the problem.

Then I found a solution on another forum where many users had chaindrop issues with either Shimano or Sunrace 11-46t cassettes. Just ride it once or twice..... After the initial one or two rides there would be zero chaindrop. And I experienced exactly that, after the odd 20km ride where you shifted through all your gears (without back pedalling) the problem resolved itself.

I built a clone copy of the drivetrain for my wife on her Trek Superfly, on her bike never once experienced the issue of the chaindrop.

You can check out the "Post Your Pyga" thread and go to page 205 and 206. There is a couple of posts regarding this issue.

Thanks Johnson. I had a look at your solution.

The stock XT chainline is 50.4mm. Apparently the ideal is 49mm.

The options are thus:

- Space the stock chainring

- Get a different chainring with better chainline (Wolftooth and Absolute Black offers 49mm).

I think I will go for the second option. I just wonder if 1.4mm can make such a big difference.

I think it is usual to have the chain drop down the cassette on back pedal.

I'm running a 11-42 with a Oval Black 34 on the front. No issue with chain drop while riding...

post-47220-0-42471000-1515751551_thumb.jpg

What is the chainline on your oval black?

I assume it is 49mm?

To be honest, I'm not sure. Build it with standard XT parts and the Oval chainring. No special spacers, etc. Just fit and go.

Archived