[Event] Funky Fynbos MTB Or Trail Run Or DUO

Naomi4

The event this year is hosted by Lomond Wines on the banks of the Kraaibosch dam, just a couple of km's off the Gansbaai-Baardskeerdersbos tar road.  Beer on tap - good wines, loads of fun activities and even some fishing for the enthusiasts.

post-16484-0-61491600-1504814923_thumb.jpg

Was riding the track on Sunday and must say the new additions on the last section to Lomond is really nice. It makes you forget completely what you have endured up to there and just want to go again. Few jumps and fast turns. Big hand to the guys for their iniciative and hard work. So now we need to support them and go and ride the Funky Fynbos for even more improvements for the future.

Hi,

It was good seeing "locals" on the trail :)  Its good to hear that you are surprised as well as impressed by the routes. We have continued to develop the flow and rideability of the trails since we saw you. Maybe catch you on the trails again this weekend.

Cheers 

I don't even know why I punish myself by opening this thread everytime there's a new post, since I won't be able to participate on the day.

Will have to come check out some of these trails with one of the locals next time I visit.

Sent from my SM-J111F using Tapatalk

ROUTE DESCRIPTIONS

45km - For the fit and technically proficient mountain biker, if not it will be a long but beautiful day in the mountains.

Long climbs, exhilarating downhills and purpose built single track.

After a brief warm up you will climbing for about 10km, the last few hundred meters being quite steep. Once you have reached the tower on Perdeberg you would have climbed almost 500m! You are then rewarded with a 4km downhill that starts off steep and rocky, then fast through sweeping fynbos jeeptrack before you reach a slight climb and the rest of the downhill down a fun little kloof.  Can be tricky so stay alert!

Next is a straight forward jeep track climb to the dam and first waterpoint at 17km, shared with the other routes.  You also share a short downhill section with the short route before they split off, and you continue to bomb down a very fast jeep track for about 2.5km, followed by a fun kloof section with a 1.5km climb with a short technical section at the end.  

A 3km down section takes you to the road before you start a long, hard climb of about 4km to the Helderfontein beacon. Then mostly down to the Witfoetskloof waterpoint at 32km.

A tough climb will take you onto the Swartkransberg side.  You will encounter some sand here, but the fit should manage - the rest should enjoy the views and pincushions visited by the orange-breasted and malachite sunbirds during the brief dismounts. It is an undulating ride until you get to the Witkransberg where a 3km fast and furious downhill awaits you, the last 1km through tunnel like shrub and trees, swooping left and right until you reach Flowervalley.  Watch out for the moleheaps and narrow bridge!

A short 2km climb will take you alongside Windheuwel to the Lomond downhill, with swooping berms, pump berms, flow berms and some fun little tables and a few gap jumps (all have chicken runs) until you reach the end at Lomond.

27km - For the fit and keen mountain biker.

Long climbs, exhilarating downhills and purposebuilt single track.

After the brief warmup you will climb 7.5km to the first waterpoint along farm road and jeep track.  On the Koudeberg the route splits from the others at the dam and you will follow a mostly downhill track to the Avoca road.

Then a long, hard and tough 4km climb to the Helderfontein beacon where you can enjoy the inspiring views before you drop down to the Witfoetskloof waterpoint. Here and there short little climbs.  After the waterpoint a tough 1.5km climb before you bomb down to Flowervalley along a fast jeep farm road.  It has rain humps that can catch the wary, but give airtime to the adventurers.

A short 2km climb will take you alongside Windheuwel to the Lomond downhill, with swooping berms, pump berms, flow berms and some fun little tables and a few gap jumps (all have chicken runs) until you reach the end at Lomond.

post-16484-0-83698800-1505469206_thumb.jpg

This is the 16km route - the start and finish is to the right of the dam wall, then up the road on the left and down the jeep track we are on.  Almost continuous climb up and then almost continuous down :).  A good ride for the not so fit, but also a fun ride for the more adventurous - the downs can get very fast!

post-16484-0-17706200-1505890170_thumb.jpg