Jonkershoek single track should be...

mountain_lion

Jonkershoek single track should be:  

25 members have voted

1. 1. Jonkershoek single track should be:

• Two way tracffic (up / down)
    • One way traffic DOWN hill only
    • One way traffic UP hill only

Some people seem to think that the single track in Jonkershoek have direction restrictions. Confused

As far as I know this has never been the case in Jonkershoek (and as a local, I have been riding there for 10+ years).

While one way traffic might make sense on some trails, this does not apply to the tracks designed and built by Meurant in Jonkershoek . He specifically intended the tracks to be ridden in both directions.

There are almost no blind corners and it does not take much skill to pass.

Even if you cannot do this without one or both riders putting a foot down, so what? This is recreational riding.

When I started riding MTB 10+ years ago, the general rule was that the rider going uphill has right of way. Reasoning being that the downhill rider has speed and can easily manoeuvre, but the uphill rider cannot. Of course both riders should make it as easy as possible for the other to pass.

Has this changed??

I think it should be 2 way traffic, but feel the people going down must have right of way....

Just my personal opinion....  (because I feel when I'm coming down at speed I might "val my gat af" if have to make way for people coming up!)  LOL

What is best will depend on the situation, and normally what works is that the down hill rider slows down to allow the uphill rider time to get into a position where the downhill rider can go round him.

i.e. the downhill rider should not expect the uphill rider to just get off the track and out of his way!

mountain_lion2008-05-26 03:49:56

I suppose it works both ways.

Coming down Tokai ST we always give way to the climbing rider.

We see him before he sees us.We are looking further ahead and moving fast.

Lebanon is one way and that works well as there are no chances of collisions other than trees.

I have not done Jonkershoek but if it works as it is leave it.

Personally I do not like coming across riders on single track.Its bad enough having to give way to someone flying up behind me.Wink

Funny enough Meurants track on Klapmuts Koppie is also one way.
Kranswurm2008-05-26 03:54:17

I thought there was a specific section that Meurant designed just for going up. It doesn't make the same allowances as the downhill track, and will end up wearing too quickly if used downhill.

I thought that climbers get right of way, but seems like there is no real protocol/convention out on the singletrack.

Tokai was pretty full yesterday and it seemed that every second group we encountered up and down had different ideas.

All singeltrack should be 2-way unless there is some element of safety involved.

Personally I think the downhill rider has right of way as this is the 'natural' direction in which singletrack is ridden. The obvious exception is flat singletrack where a game of 'chicken' applies!

I thought there was a specific section that Meurant designed just for going up. It doesn't make the same allowances as the downhill track' date=' and will end up wearing too quickly if used downhill.

[/quote']

I am not aware of such a track, but will ask Meurant when I speak to him again.

I know Meurant built the track which MTO has now labelled "upper Canary" to provide a  more pleasant alternative to climbing on the plantation roads, but the design was still for riding in both directions.

I have used this trail more for going up than coming down.

Rather go down Never-ending-story (or what ever MTO has labelled it now).

It depends on the rider. Some okes will not give even if you're on the last 10k's of a 300km ride and it was uphill ALL THE WAY. Unfortunately, IMO, 90%of the time it's the hardcore XC racers who seem to think that they own the trails and have right of way cause they are holier than though. Not all of them, but most. People riding for fun or ride to just enjy the crap out of it, tend to give way easier...heck they'll even say hello when you pass them by.

I think if people would just use common sense and chill about it we will all get along.

I also think that if Meurant designed a track for uphill use only he will mark it that way. There are only two very short sections (50m each) of single track that I'm always weary of on-coming traffic.

BTW, IMO uphill riders have right of way. It's A LOT more difficult to get going again going uphill than what it is going downhill.

Now I am off to Eden to go test my new lights and back to back two of my bikes to see which one gets the unfortunate chop.

Now if only someone would buy my damn Alu Racer X...

If there was such a rule as only uphill or downhill I sure missed it and so all the people whom I ride with. I've never come across any one who was grumpy because he wanted right of way or anything.

Does anybody know anything about the new singletrack being built from the top of upper canarie to 2nd contour(i think)?

I'll go against the flow and say that all singletrack should be unidirectional. It can be down (mostly) or up though, depending on how it's designed and what the intended 'loop' is.

Trails are getting too full now to have bidirectional traffic. Arrows and no entry signs at the start of singletrack sections are called for.

For what it's worth, I believe the rider heading downhill should have right of way whilst trails are unmarked as they are now. (the opposite to downhill on jeeptrack). I expect the rider climbing up to get out the way, but prefer not to have any along the way as there's no convention and I'd have to slow down not knowing what they think. (Clearly I now realise you all think diff to me - sorry for blasting you off the trackOuchConfusedWink)

#Pete#2008-05-26 10:43:32

For a fact some of the tracks are one way only. Especially the sandy newer track. I recall that Murant specifically requested this - Up only - as gowing down would damadge the track too much. I also believe tha some of them are signposted as such.

Then again I may be wrong.

On a personal note, the loooong track should be down only if itcan take the abuse. It is just too goooood and fast to allow for up traffic. If only for saftey reasons.

Yes I know we must give way to the ppl going up but if the majority go down you let go...............

I'll go against the flow and say that all singletrack should be unidirectional. It can be down (mostly) or up though' date=' depending on how it's designed and what the intended 'loop' is.

Trails are getting too full now to have bidirectional traffic. Arrows and no entry signs at the start of singletrack sections are called for.

For what it's worth, I believe the rider heading downhill should have right of way whilst trails are unmarked as they are now. (the opposite to downhill on jeeptrack). I expect the rider climbing up to get out the way, but prefer not to have any along the way as there's no convention and I'd have to slow down not knowing what they think. (Clearly I now realise you all think diff to me - sorry for blasting you off the trackOuchConfusedWink) [/quote']

Agreed, i ride MTB to try and give it horns where I can.

On a personal note' date=' the loooong track should be down only if itcan take the abuse. It is just too goooood and fast to allow for up traffic. If only for saftey reasons.

Yes I know we must give way to the ppl going up but if the majority go down you let go...............
[/quote']

Mmm, sort of supports what I feel.

If I worked my mielie off climbing to the top of the hill to blast down I don't want someone spoiling it for me who's climbing up the track.

Unidirectional trails allow for easy rules. If you are caught by a faster rider let them pass.

Maybe have a 'reversal' once a week or at night or whatever for variety?

I also think that trails are built differently depending on direction of travel and can be designed to last better for unidirectional flow.

I really enjoy riding up the singletracks at Jonkers. However I am always on the lookout for the blokes coming down and give way as I am going slower and have enough time to get off the track. I tend to ride early mornings when the bike traffic is not too hectic. Use common sense - dont ride up single tracks at peak times.