Commuting: Durbanville/ Bellville to Century City

Musketeer

Good morning,

This topic might exist but have not been able to locate it. I want to start commuting to and from work at least 3 times a week from Bellville/ Durbanville to Century City. I'm not sure about safe routes to take so any advice would be fantastic.

would be interesting to hear of "safe routes" ....

The back roads such as Contermans is just too narrow and way too busy to be safe

The new dual lane has a nice cycling lane .. for a short stretch.  Would be interesting to hear how the rest of this route is ...

I regularly (5 days a week) commute to century city from Durbanville. 

I generally go over tiekiedraai both mornings and afternoons. 

When it rains, i go via jip de jager. 

One has to be vigilant. 

@ChrisF: which new dual lane you referring to? The extension of Jip de Jager?

Jip.

Drove past there twice this weekend.  It really looks nice.  That blue strip near the robot I am not so sure of .... you feel the ripples in the car.  Wonder what that feels like on a bike.

Jip.

Drove past there twice this weekend.  It really looks nice.  That blue strip near the robot I am not so sure of .... you feel the ripples in the car.  Wonder what that feels like on a bike.

the blue/green cycle lane ripples are a rather odd feeling.  :blink:

I rather take Jip De Jager in the mornings.  Those huge trucks driving in the yellow lane make me really nervous Mon-Fri

I'm riding to town in the morning past Century City.

For me the best route in the morning is over Jip de Jager, then Lovers lane, down Plattekloof weg, turning left onto Bosmansdam weg. 

I'm riding to town in the morning past Century City.

For me the best route in the morning is over Jip de Jager, then Lovers lane, down Plattekloof weg, turning left onto Bosmansdam weg. 

Recce'd this route in the morning with the car and might work but will have to test it. Down Jip de Jager, right into Uys Krige, up Plattekloof and left into Bosmansdam.

Have to say haven't seen a lot of cyclists on this route...

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Hi all, has this bike bus gained any passengers?

I occasionally ride in from Durbanville to CBD, mostly use Tiekiedraai to Bothasig circle, over N7 with Platterkloof road, then use bike lanes into town.

Normally leave around 7 in CBD just before 8:30. Would like to ride more regularly and with others if possible.

Hey Sharkykzn,

Unfortunately those that i ride with to work, leave home at 5:45 to be at work at 07:00 or so.

I live in Milnerton and have considered commuting into the CBD for a while, but I am still enjoying the luxury of only paying R9.00 on the MyCiti busses into town.

There is a bike bus group that leave from Tableview every morning.

Riding from Durbanville to Century City however, I would also recommend Plattekloof into Bosmansdam which should work well as Bosmansdam is usually jam packed with traffic, thus giving you less hassle with fast cars (plus a nice big shoulder). Maybe just a bit sketchy crossing over the N7 bridge.

I live in Milnerton and have considered commuting into the CBD for a while, but I am still enjoying the luxury of only paying R9.00 on the MyCiti busses into town.

There is a bike bus group that leave from Tableview every morning.

Riding from Durbanville to Century City however, I would also recommend Plattekloof into Bosmansdam which should work well as Bosmansdam is usually jam packed with traffic, thus giving you less hassle with fast cars (plus a nice big shoulder). Maybe just a bit sketchy crossing over the N7 bridge.

Section in bold is my route if it is raining. Find it safer as there are street lights the whole way.

Section in bold is my route if it is raining. Find it safer as there are street lights the whole way.

So turning off before the roadworks on Plattekloof? Wonder when that will be finished.