OE road wheels for buffalo

Mr lee

I am looking at a few entry level road bikes and was wondering if there are any of the larger blokes out there that have purchased an entry level steed (8-15K range) and had any issues with the wheels that came with the bike.

Please mention brand, model as well as year specs and your weight  ;)

I know that staying with a high spoke count is important as well as rim profile but not all brands are supplied with 32 spokes and 30mm+ profile rims  :wacko: ...

Most brands use a larger spoke count on the rear wheel as that is where the weigh bias lies but I am not sure if a 24 spoke and 24mm rim profile will handle 117kg's safely.

I went through wheel strengths with my MTB but I would like to know that I could purchase a road bike and not have to fork out more Mhoola later on as it will only be used for training (and keeping up with the roadies on morning rides) purposes  :D

It is a gamble really. There is sometimes just no information available about the OE wheels.

Shimano wheels tend to be quite strong and good rollers but heavier.

As long as the wheels are not "clearly" superlight with low spoke counts etc. you may be ok.

Some go as far as having a set built - some use tandem wheelssets...

and avoid stuff in the road as much as possible...

Thanks S14 but I was looking at trying to avoid having to lay out additional funds over and above the actual bike. Hoping for a few comments as to what has been used without any issues....  

Ask your local dealer on weight limits for their brands? And then google the *** out of those wheels?

Perhaps ask David Marshall, on this forum, as he's one of the go-to-guys re wheels, as he's a wheel-builder...

PS I associated the title of your thread with the Qhubeka buffalo bikes....maybe other have too, and not opened the thread?

I also recollect this topic being raised before so maybe a bit of a search would uncover some gems?

Giant's basic OE wheels are usually bombproof.

Their MTB ones are for sure. I got Magic Aksiums on my TCR so couldn't comment on the road wheels.

But for the OP, I started riding on Mavic Aksiums at 110kgs with no issues. They're not an OE wheel, but are sometimes specced on lower end bikes.

Perhaps if you could list the bikes you are looking at and the wheels that are on them?

Sometimes you get different stuff on as OE - depends who supplied the wheels at that time.

Apparently the Alex Rims wheels which come as OE on a lot of brands are not great and tend to flex a lot too.

Since the bike would be XXL or XL minimum the specced wheelset might be different also.

Ok sorry for the confusion...

Can't seem to figure out how to edit the title  :wacko: !

Anyway from a few other threads I have looked at, it seems that Cannondale and Giant are the best options in terms of sizing. Specialized would also be fine but you not getting value for money on components when compared to the others...

Cannondale Caad Optimo Sora - Rims:RS, 24H Front, 28H Rear. Think it rules out this model due to the low rim profile.

Cannondale Caad Optimo Tiagra - Rims:RS 3.0, 24H Front, 28H Rear. These rims appear to have a larger profile according to pictures on Cannondale's website!

Cannondale Caad 12 Tiagra - Rims:RS 2.0, 24H Front, 28H Rear. These rims appear to have a larger profile according to pictures on Cannondale's website!

Giant Contend 1 2018- Rims: Giant SR-3 24H front, 32H rear. Higher spoke count rear could help with my weight!

Giant Contend SL 2 2018- Rims: Giant SR-2 24H front, 24H rear. Low rear spoke count may be a problem!

The only info I can find on the rims is weight...

Another question....which shops in the JHB area keep actual Giant and Cannondale stock that can be viewed?

I have tried Cycle lab, Finish Line, Procycles (Benoni)... 

Ok sorry for the confusion...

Can't seem to figure out how to edit the title  :wacko: !

Anyway from a few other threads I have looked at, it seems that Cannondale and Giant are the best options in terms of sizing. Specialized would also be fine but you not getting value for money on components when compared to the others...

Cannondale Caad Optimo Sora - Rims:RS, 24H Front, 28H Rear. Think it rules out this model due to the low rim profile.

Cannondale Caad Optimo Tiagra - Rims:RS 3.0, 24H Front, 28H Rear. These rims appear to have a larger profile according to pictures on Cannondale's website!

Cannondale Caad 12 Tiagra - Rims:RS 2.0, 24H Front, 28H Rear. These rims appear to have a larger profile according to pictures on Cannondale's website!

Giant Contend 1 2018- Rims: Giant SR-3 24H front, 32H rear. Higher spoke count rear could help with my weight!

Giant Contend SL 2 2018- Rims: Giant SR-2 24H front, 24H rear. Low rear spoke count may be a problem!

The only info I can find on the rims is weight...

Another question....which shops in the JHB area keep actual Giant and Cannondale stock that can be viewed?

I have tried Cycle lab, Finish Line, Procycles (Benoni)... 

Have you thought of buying a bike second hand, and on what's left from your budget buying a set of new aksiums?

Have you thought of buying a bike second hand, and on what's left from your budget buying a set of new aksiums?

No cause I usually rather prefer to buy new... but if the right second hand one came along in the right size then I would consider it.

No cause I usually rather prefer to buy new... but if the right second hand one came along in the right size then I would consider it.

Classifieds here often have good entry level bikes. And as far as I remember CWCycles had a special on aksiums a while ago? And I saw the other day that Solomon Cycles have a pre-947 special on bikes/wheels, although I don't know if aksiums were included? A good time of year to get a new bargain, end of the year stock and pre-947 specials etc.

And Cyclelab have their pre-947 sale on. Some nice VFM for under R10k on offer. A mate of mine, he's a pencil-neck, bought a merida scultura 300, I think, for under R10k and it's a mighty impressive slice of very little money (even if you had to buy new wheels).

Just to reinforce others' views....from the mavic website:

Aksium - For a longer longevity of the wheel, Mavic recommends that the total weight supported by the wheels don't exceed 120kg, bike included.

So with bike weight (+/-11kg probably), you'll be a little over the limit perhaps, but presumably not for long!

Alternatively make it the dealers issue: here I am, I weight this much, what have you got for me, and what guarantee do you offer on wheel/spoke issues?

Good luck!

Archived