Sram pg1050 cassette with shimano deore derailleur

Uvine

Hi all will a Sram PG1050 11-36T cassette be interchangable with a Shimano HG50 11-36T running with a Shimano Deore Shadow Plus rear derailleur?

I recently replaced my shimano cassette as above with the Sram and now I'm missing gears and shifting is horrible. Was it the LBS that just didn't adjust the derailleur correctly or are they just not compatible with each other?

Thanks for all the help

I don’t see any reason they wouldn’t be interchangeable. I’m also surprised that the derailleur would need adjustment, but maybe that’s what the LBS thought and didn’t even check.

Adjusting the derailleur is easy enough, so I would do a quick search online to familiarise yourself with the methods, and then give it a go yourself. Something like this playlist from Park Tool might be a good place to start.

To help us to help you, you could tell us a little more about the problems you’re experiencing. Does the chain shift into the top and bottom cogs OK? Which are the problem cogs? Is it running smooth while it’s in gear − is it only when shifting that you have trouble? Can you pedal hard without it slipping?

Other things that come to mind are the wear of the chain − have you checked that? If the old cassette wore with the chain it’s possible that you’ll need to get a new chain now that you have a new cassette. What was the reason for the change in the first place?

Also, a bent derailleur hanger can be a source of shifting trouble, but it would be surprising if this only happened when you changed cassettes. Unless during the procedure the derailleur was whacked against something…

Hi all

First of all thanks for the help.

Lifting the bike up and just checking gear changes:

1. The KMC 10spd chain and Shimano HG50 11-36 10spd needed replacement, shifting was good before but chain and cassette was due for replacement.

2. The chain was replaced with a ShimanoXT CN-HG95 10 spd and the cassette as above with the PG1050.

3. On my first and only ride just a couple of hours ago, I noticed that the shifter was really tense (this is only noticed when going from 1st to 2nd)

4. It sits in 1st (36T) gear without a problem, going over to 2nd is tense on the shifter and then with delay it goes over to 2nd. On 2nd its like it doesn't want to be there and click-clicks.

5. Releasing from 2nd to 3rd on shifter is ok, but on the cassette stays in 2nd.

6. Going over to 4th on the shifter jumps the chain from 2nd to 4th on the cassette. 

7. From 4 to 5 on shifter leaves the cassette for around 2 revolutions and then it jumps into 5th.

8. And the rest all shift to the other gear with delay.

Shifting whilst riding:

1. Some gears would slip, some shifts would do nothing and then just suddenly jump into another gear, and when I went down to 10th (11T) the chain came off.

It's difficult for me to adjust the derailleur as I don't have a working stand, I really hope that the derailleur and the hanger is still OK, all was fine before the work was done. 

The bike will go the LBS tomorrow and I will keep you updated on the outcome. 

What was important for me to know is whether the two are interchangeable.

Thanks for the help. 

Cool. It sounds to me like you might just need to slacken off the cable a tiny bit, either at the barrel adjuster or at the cable clamp bolt, and tighten the H limit screw a little.

But by all means take it to the LBS − if they fitted the new parts for you I reckon they should have made sure it was shifting smoothly too.

I would, however, try to learn how to do all of the above yourself, as with cable stretch, general wear, bumps, etc, your gears will need some adjustment from time to time, and being able to do this yourself will save time and money. And it's very satisfying! It could also save your ride − you can do gear adjustments out on the trail.

A work stand would be great, but this is one of those adjustments that’s very easy to do just by turning the bike upside down. Just be sure to use some padding to protect any bar controls that stick out and scratch the ground. I still don’t have a work stand but have always serviced my bikes myself. (I would love to get one, though.)

Hi All

Said I will give feedback and here it is.

So on Tuesday when I took the bike in, the LBS was like "we're really busy" and they tried to do a quick adjustment then and there. I told them no no no, I'd rather leave the bike here for a day and have them done a proper job.

I picked up the bike yesterday and the shifting was back to 100 %. I think during the replacement of the parts, or something there might have been a misunderstanding and the adjustment was never done.

Anyways thanks for the all help and I will really invest some time into learning how to do these adjustments by myself as I believe it will be of great value. 

Thanks again

I think during the replacement of the parts, or something there might have been a misunderstanding and the adjustment was never done.

That's really poor, irrespective of how busy they may have been.

Archived