Stripped Crank - Threaded Inserts Needed

Dorpie

Hey guys,

Anyone out there know where I can get threaded inserts done for my XT crank.

I've done a little research and a Helicoil and an insert are not the same (common mistake apparently). A Helicoil is not going to work on a crank because it's wire and will just pull out.

Definitely needs to be a threaded Insert.

Anyone in JHB that can help please.

Cheers

D

Hey guys,

I've done a little research and a Helicoil and an insert are not the same (common mistake apparently). A Helicoil is not going to work on a crank because it's wire and will just pull out.

Cheers

D

Any engineering shop can do it for you if they have the insert kit - remember one side has to be reverse thread.... might be easier to just buy a new crank.

JR Engineering in Strydom park - Camper - 011 793 4410 has done  inserts on magnesuim engine cases for me before.

Hey guys,

Cheers

D

you talking about this?

post-32237-0-65377700-1505813610_thumb.jpg

Yup that's the one

it's called a Vasbyt Helicoil Insert. We get them from Match Trading in Cape Town. Not sure what thread your pedal has and I doubt you'll get them in left hand for the non-drive side pedal.