Geometry experts please help

Quagga

A friend of mine is currently riding a Giant, HT and would like to get FS bike.

Looking at the two bikes Geometry (I don’t look at S,M,L as I feel every manufacturer has a different "Size Curve") I think that the FS could work for him if he makes a few changes.

He will have a little less seat post sticking out and have to run a 80 mm stem, and we still need to check 100% where his saddle will end up in relation to the bb/pedals.

Your input would be appreciated. Below is the measurement / Geometry of the two bikes

I think it is hard to compare bikes like that, but in a short conclusion I would say the FS is more relaxed and will be better for long distance riding. The FS is more modern geo.

On the slower steering I would not worry about that, it will be waaayyyy better on downhills and you won't even notice riding gravel roads.

Yes the handlebar will be higher, but 15.5cm seems a bit extreme I would say? That maby be a bigger factor, I cannot comment on that.

The other think you should consider is suspension geometry, every bike handle differently depending on how the suspension work, like for instance a more progressive bike will be far different to ride if you compare it with like a linear bike (like the older Scott bike).

This all is very technical, just ask for a demo bike for a weekend, I think your answers will be answered after a weekend on your local trails

I think of you post the specific bikes' details, it would be easier to check....

Just some (personal) observations...

...Stand over height shouldn't affect handling

...The stem on both bikes are looooong! Are they 29ers??

...The head tube is very long on the DS, seems weird. What bike is it?

...I would invert the stem, to get some drop.

Newer designs tend to have shorter chainstays, longer TTs and shorter stems

the setup between a HT and a FS is quite remarkably different, due to angles changing, rear shock sag, different front shock etc.

You only need to take both a FS and a HT to Cyclefit for a fitting to see how different the setup measurements can be.

Ultimately its your ride quality you are after, your fitness, and your race ambitions that might decide what bike to choose. Once you have been measured and advised on the appropriate frame size, getting a proper bike fit done makes a world of difference.

Instead of just looking at the head tube measurement, you need to have a look at the STACK measurement. That's the height of the top of the head tube, measured from the ground. 

Presuming it's an XC focussed race machine, as 70deg head angle is pretty steep and an 80mm stem is pretty long. Handling will be BETTER for the rough stuff, as the bike won't be as twitchy and have a feeling of being "over the front"

Standover height isn't an issue. If he wants to run a dropper, the seat tube measurement is more important. If he's running a static post, then it doesn't matter. 

Chainstay length is also a bit shorter than the HT, which is good for handling. 

Instead of just looking at the head tube measurement, you need to have a look at the STACK measurement. That's the height of the top of the head tube, measured from the ground. 

And also instead of just top tube length, reach is the more important variable to look at at with regards to rider fit.

And then I think it would be better to take the rider size into account as well instead of just comparing a new bike to his old bike. There is a big difference in wheelbase between these 2 bikes and if he likes the short wheelbase and he can fit on a smaller dually with shorter wheelbase?

Thanks for all the replies, I could not get the stack heigth but will look 

the two bikes are Giant XTC Med and Spez Epic 2012 L

Thanks for all the replies, I could not get the stack heigth but will look 

the two bikes are Giant XTC Med and Spez Epic 2012 L

If the fit of the medium ht Giant is good I would recommend looking at a medium Epic. I would rather ride a small dually and medium ht, I would not recommend up-sizing when moving from ht to dually - a dually tends to have longer chainstays and wheelbase

Archived