Colnago Titanio

Rubel

Hi

Here are some questions for the classic old school bike guys.

I have an opportunity to buy a Colnago Titanio exactly like the bike in this pic.

The actual bike is in worse condition but still has original paint.

Although the gruppo on the bike looks period correct it doesn't seem to be anything special.

What would something like this be worth and would it be considered a collectable bike worth buying?

post-7344-0-96042900-1508923886_thumb.jpg

Nice bike without a doubt.

Some pics of the actual bike would give a better idea of value.

Its something I would consider having in my collection, I like steel, but these are nice frames.

If I'm not mistaken (correct me if I'm wrong) the earlier models had a tendency to crack on the top tube near the seat clamp area, so just check for hairline cracks at the welds.

Thanks Quinton.

Unfortunately dont have pics as only saw the bike for a few seconds while driving past the guy and got his number through the car window.

Will check for cracks.

It is a Titanio frame in Art Decor paint scheme.

Yes, I think it is already collectable, perhaps currently not as much as a steel frame, but I think the titanium ones will become much more desirable in future. They are also fantastic to ride and well worth building up as a bike to ride. It will still be very competitive against new carbon framed bikes.

I would put the frame value at about R5000 if in good condition and original. If the paint job is so damaged that it needs repainting, then the value drops, because a re-spray of the same quality will easily cost you R5000 and you will end up with a frame that is less valuable.

It needs an 8 or a 9 speed Campagnolo Record groupset and top quality Campagnolo wheels like period Shamals, if you want the best value. Campagnolo seatpost and headset also. Fork can be titanium or carbon but must be a straight Colnago. Saddle, stem and bars must be Italian, ITM, Cinelli or such. A good complete Record groupset will set you back R8000. Good wheels R5000.

Adding up the parts will come to much more than buying the bike as a whole. If specced like above, in SA, it will sell for between R10000 and R15000. R10000 is a good deal. R5000 is a steal. From R10000 to R15000 is fair. Above R15000 is steep unless it is absolutely pristine. On e-Bay it will fetch much higher prices. 

If it comes with a low spec Campagnolo groupset and low end wheels, or it has Shimano parts all over it, then price it purely for the frame.