Anyone know how to fit a Thule Velocity 920 to an Audi factory fitted Tow bar on a Q3?

GeoffDe

Bought a new car AUDI Q3 went for the factory-fitted tow bar, I never for a minute thought that my trusty Thule 3 bike carrier Velocity 920 would not fit.

Well, it fits onto the ball of the tow-bar fine but I cannot pull the locking lever down. All the mechanism seems to work fine so I don't think there is an issue with the carrier. I would appreciate any help as I don't want to be buying another bike carrier.

Just check. I know some of the ball mounted racks have an adjuster for keeping a firm fit when the tow ball wears out etc. Yours may have been adjusted to an older worn ball and now the new one is slightly too big.

Is there not and adjustment on the carrier to tighten or loosen the mechanism that goes over the ball ?

Towhitch balls should all be the same size, but I'm guessing its got to do with the size of the gooseneck from the car to the ball.  I'm sure the Thule should have an adjustment.

If you dont come right, either take the car and carrier to Thule or Audi, they should be able to assist. (I'd start with Thule)

Some photos please

A standard towball is round at the top, with a round shaft at the bottom - Thule and others rely on this simetry to clamp onto it.

Many of these factory towbars, especially the fold away type is not round at the bottom, but rather rectangular to fit the swing arm.

I do believe that rectangular bit interveres with the clamp of the bike rack.

Had the same issue and after nearly breaking my arms discovered that the neck was couple of millimeters too short. Changed it and now it fits. 

Thanks everyone for your suggestions. I have the adjuster open as wide as it will go and it still not fitting. I have made contact with Thule and they have requested some pictures so waiting to see what there response is.

IMG_2261.jpeg

9 hours ago, GeoffDe said:

The Tow hook photo 

IMG_2265.jpeg

The neck is too short. I had the same issue. There is not enough space for the clamp to secure the ball which means you can't close it. 

38 minutes ago, GeoffDe said:

Hi jcza what did you do in the end to resolve the issue? 

I went to Thule in Woodmead Johannesburg and bought a new gooseneck ball mount. Mine is not retractable so it was around R500. 

Screenshot 2024-05-13 161640.png