A Hardtail conundrum.......

EtienneXplore

Ideal outback set up

Rolhoff hub (very pricey but worth it-  no real servicing needed)

Steel/Titanium frame Cotic, On-one, GT(Peace), Lynsky, van Nic ext

wheel size (own choice) (get decent rims or a factory wheel set)  If you build, build sturdy.

wide tyres  2.2 to 2.4 (tubeless)

Disc brakes (Magura, Shimano or Juicy)

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ideal outback set up

Rolhoff hub (very pricey but worth it-  no real servicing needed)

Steel/Titanium frame Cotic, On-one, GT(Peace), Lynsky, van Nic ext

wheel size (own choice) (get decent rims or a factory wheel set)  If you build, build sturdy.

wide tyres  2.2 to 2.4 (tubeless)

Disc brakes (Magura, Shimano or Juicy)

Unless you're really doing a very remote or "around the world" type tour, I wouldn't recommend a rohloff though...

I have one (but not on a bike anymore) for a tour in alaska back in 2010.  It's true that the hub is bomb proof and if you don't have a bike shop anywhere close it may be worth the while, however it's got two downsides...

It is not as "frictionless" as a standard derailleur setup, and you can feel the bit of resistance.  When freewheeling downhill your pedals will start to turn by themselves...  The power to overcome the resistance may only be 20W or so, but if you're hurting on a long day out it's hard not to not notice that you're driving a tank...  Possibly psycological, but especially in gears 5 and 7 (mid range - so you use them a lot) the internal gear speed is such that it makes prominent humming sound which makes you feel that it's dragging you down even more...

It makes your rear end heavy...  1.7kg's might not seem like too much on a 13kg bike, but because the weight is centred low down in the rear wheel, this does affect handling.  Although I won't call myself good at it, I've since grown to enjoy a bit more progressive riding, i.e. hop and jump stuff.  Not sure if the rohloff will ever be back on my MTB anytime soon. Possibly a cyclocross style tourer if I plan something long or remote again.

"I will be riding trails, single track and dirt tracks...."

In that case I would re-think the whole dual-sus hardtail thing.

What are the other guys that you could be riding with riding.

Get a bike that suits your needs.

"I will be riding trails, single track and dirt tracks...."

In that case I would re-think the whole dual-sus hardtail thing.

What are the other guys that you could be riding with riding.

Get a bike that suits your needs.

I don't like the way the Dual Sus goes uphill.... Yes, on rough downhills they are tops, but we don't do so much of them. We do not have the nice "bike park" riding areas the guys have in SA. We have to ride in the bush, and that means getting to the bush to start your ride. This generally involves a bit of tar and quite a lot dirt road riding. So I guess you can say we do more XC type of riding at faster ave speed than the pure rough and tough climbing and downhill cornering.

I am looking at possibly doing the 1Zambia 3 Day Stage Race next year.  

https://1zambiamtb.com

This year there was a few SA Pro Riders there and they said in the interview that they do not have this "bush riding" anywhere in SA, everything in SA is "built or made" for MTB where in Zambia it is just raw bush. But getting to the bush you need to do some miles on dirt/tar to get there.

Archived