Bike Hub Commuters Challenge 2018

Bateleur1

• Replies 943
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You can wait for your spring thank you.  I am still enjoying the good weather here.  Anyway I also finally cracked the 4K marked yesterday.

Well done Bats! That didn't take long at all....

Well done Bateleur1!!! Welcome to the 4000+ club. 

That means 3 of us are in the 4000 range. Getting interesting at the op now. :)

Sure does get interresting.  We basically have 7 weeks of good weather still lying ahead before Autumn will start crawling in.  Then life will become very interresting.

Just hit 3000km today.  Upping my game soon so watch out 4K club... :D

Just hit 3000km today.  Upping my game soon so watch out 4K club... :D

Well done.  And upping your game in Winter means a good summer comming.

Right peeps. Well done to Zub reaching the 3000 km milestone.

Did my last commute this morning before i leave for Italy tomorrow.  :clap:

Will be interesting to see how far down the log I slip in the 2.5 weeks i am away. 

But so looking forward to the cycling tour in Italy followed by the GranFondo and then doing nothing while relaxing in Cinque Terra.

Don't miss me to much.:) 

Right peeps. Well done to Zub reaching the 3000 km milestone.

Did my last commute this morning before i leave for Italy tomorrow.  :clap:

Will be interesting to see how far down the log I slip in the 2.5 weeks i am away. 

But so looking forward to the cycling tour in Italy followed by the GranFondo and then doing nothing while relaxing in Cinque Terra.

Don't miss me to much. :)

I also have a week leave next week.  So not too sure if I will catch up in the remaining week and a half.  Will have to see.  Hairy might kick you off the throne though.

I also have a week leave next week.  So not too sure if I will catch up in the remaining week and a half.  Will have to see.  Hairy might kick you off the throne though.

Damned right I will ... been saving myself for this magical 2.5 week break :P

Damned right I will ... been saving myself for this magical 2.5 week break :P

:lol:

Enjoy Hairy.

Just remember my turn will come again when you on leave.  ;)

:lol:

Enjoy Hairy.

Just remember my turn will come again when you on leave.  ;)

• 2 weeks later...

So how is it going?  Been on leave last week and battling a nasty little cold/flew.  This week not good for commuting as it would be rather rainy and my MTB has no chain on at the moment.  Waiting for spares that should arrive tommorow I hope.  Wednesday and Friday will also not be cycling commuting :(

I have just been lazy the last week ... and today ... will shape up again from tomorrow.

Also been on leave for the last week. Back on it this week. 1 degree this morning! What a way to get back.

Was at my grandmother this weekend in Gansbaai and I had the worst ride so far on my bike.

Planned an endurance 100km ride from Gansbaai to Die Dam, Pearly Beach, Uilenkraal and Kleinbaai back home.

Double checked the weather on Saturday morning before leaving and the roads were still wet due to the rain on Friday. Was super cold, shy under 10 degree but my kit kept me warm. Well, until my encounter with mother nature.

The drag to Pearly Beach felt endless due to the long straight road and pitch black darkness.

Halfway until Die Dam and I felt light raindrops fall. I said to myself if it rains now, I am in big trouble. Out of the blue, a huge cloud-burst. I was soaking wet due to my lack of waterproof clothing. I was about 10km away from Die Dam and did not want to give up, so I kept going.

The coldness did not help at all. I was freezing! My nearest stop point was Pearly Beach which was 20km away. That was probably my coldest and toughest 20km ever on a bike. Arriving at Pearly Beach and all I could think of was warm clothes and coffee. I called my dad and explained my situation. Getting my phone out of my pocket was a mission! My hands were so cold I could not even move it. My whole body did not want to work and I was so frustrated.

I stopped at 'Die Rooibier' in Pearly Beach for shelter and waiting for my dad. I was so thankful and happy when I saw the van. I was greeted with warm clothes and coffee compliments of my sisters. Without my superheroes (My dad, Melanie, Jolene en Zané) I would have suffered!

Sadly I had a crash going into Eversdal Rd from Old Oak Rd. I carried quite some speed and did not expect water across the road when I turned. Front wheel washed out and I went down quite hard. Thank you for the drivers that stop to help, appreciate it. Unfortunately, there is damage to the bike...

I suspect that I cracked my handlebars. Shifters took a beating, new handlebar tape will be needed and I will also need to inspect the frame. Wheels are fine, no buckling that I can see. My bib is torn, as well as my left sock (I took the impact on my left side). My gloves are toast (I am just thankful I had them on - full fingers gloves).

But it is what it is, and I am super bummed about the incident. Luckily I do have insurance on the bike, so let's hope for the best. Could have been a lot worse, so I am thankful for that!

Taking my bike to my mechanic tonight for a full inspection.

Be safe out there! (accidents happens so freakin' fast)

Archived