Cree light kit for DIY

WillemT

I'll be interested for sure! My biggest issue at this stage is the housing. I just can't find anything cool enough, so my lights are on hold until I manage to source a suitable housing.

If there's a cool housing + Cree LEDs and it comes in a less than 800 it'll be awesome!

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

what i'm aiming for is a simple housing design, maybe even machined, but to design the housing in a way that you don't need to use a heatsink and use the housing as one. If you put the filler in right you will be able to get good enough heat flow to the surface. If you cycle at night it's cold most of the times in anyway so you'll just need nice heat transfer and you'll get sufficient heat loss.

Going with that you will need a thick enough inner plate to mount the LEDs on, and you'll also have too look at the contact surface between the mounting plate and the housing...

I'll make some 3D solid models in CAD and post pics. I'll try to have them posted by 9 pm.

I'll need a few weeks to get this done though. I can only really start on this thuesday when i'm finnished with my exam.

I'll take the drawings to a place that can machine them and get a qoute, doing it with a normal piece of aluminium pipe will be cheap though, and work just as good without any manufacturing costs.

Have to study now so I'll get back on some more ideas...

I'll be interested for sure! My biggest issue at this stage is the housing. I just can't find anything cool enough' date=' so my lights are on hold until I manage to source a suitable housing.

If there's a cool housing + Cree LEDs and it comes in a less than 800 it'll be awesome!

[/quote']

Do you mean that looks nice or that has sufficient heat loss?

HOWZIT! FIRST OF ALL, night tider is trying to build a light that is bright, and affordable! i think everyone that can support him must!! we are all getting ripped off by the Local bike shops! the guy from Brighter lights is a genius! i mean , he is so innovative! so if you have the money get a light from him! you pay for what you get! he was telling me yesterday that he imports supplies from all over the world! lenses from australia, cables from the east, so i mean he's using the finest supplies available to build his lights!

i mean its CRAZY!! and he's not a wealthy guy! so ja, but i think willem(night tider) is doing the right thing! we need more locally produced lights!Speedi152008-05-30 01:19:05

I'll be interested for sure! My biggest issue at this stage is the housing. I just can't find anything cool enough' date=' so my lights are on hold until I manage to source a suitable housing.

[/quote']

Do you mean that looks nice or that has sufficient heat loss?

Preferably both, but at the end of the day the looking nice bit is less important than the functional bit. Also - it needs to be easily mountable, or at least have a hole for a bolt to connect it to a mounting bracket.

what about using aluminum tubing as a housing, then welding a round aluminum plate on the front, with space for lense to fit through

night tider' date=' I would be interested in the package for self assembly. The only thing that has put me off in the past was the housing and heatsink manufacture so this would suit me.

[/quote']

If we can standardise on heatsink, lense combination, I can make carbon housing's, no problem.

ja i was gonna say, carbon would look the best! but i thought it would be too difficult to get hold of?

I think you'll like the pics that i'm going to post tonight. Have the perfect picture in my head, can't wait to make the 3D on CAD!!!!! I'll try and give two options.

1: a basic housing that looks ok but not pro, but works oraait and cheap as possible!!(basicly a piece of ally tube closed both ends or simmular)

2: a machined housing that looks pro that will work brilliantly but costs more

Both should be designed to be able to take 2 - 4 LEDs and different drives.

That way, you can put together a kit that fits your pocket and get anything from 400 - 900 lumens in a solid and splash proof housing (watertigh for diving is another story Smile).

BTW working with ally in small sizes and parts that don't have to by fused it's better to go with a good epoxy to put pieces together...

ja i was gonna say' date=' carbon would look the best! but i thought it would be too difficult to get hold of?[/quote']

If there is sufficient demand, making a decent mold isn't a big issue.

Also making carbon tubes isn't that difficult either. The one I made for this  was molded around a large silicone sealant cartridge.

night tider' date=' I would be interested in the package for self assembly. The only thing that has put me off in the past was the housing and heatsink manufacture so this would suit me.

[/quote']

If we can standardise on heatsink, lense combination, I can make carbon housing's, no problem.

carbon will definitly look nice, but if you take carbon you'll need a heatsink, if you take a ally housing you can get a closed module with everything inside and use the housing for the heatsink...

ok cool. where do you get carbon tubing?

willem, post those pics boet! ASAP

Will get back to you tonight on the pics... Have to quickly go write an exam and hopefully pass!!!

Cheers

There are now so many topics on diy lights, cant keep up. The unit in the below link looks promising. Looks like 400+ Lum . It got 3 modes-1 led 2led & 3 led.Uses either cree q2 or p4 leds. Pre build with controler and heatsink, i think it might fit in 50mm plumbing housing. There are some beam shots in the link from some chinese site.

Local supplier, they also sell q5.

unit R350

18650 3.7v 2.4 H (x2) batteries R142

Digital charger for batteries R134

Time to try and build a housing - priceless-

hehe. Looked at that site and went on. If you contact them and start to ask just a few questions you'll see what I mean. Also dealextreme and extremeshop is basicly the same site...

Go and have a look. The guy told me straight out that they import most of the stuff from china....

I also sent him a mail asking a few questions and he told me that I have to wait a week or two to get the answers. another thing. They have no stock in SA they have to wait up to 2 weeks to get the stuff and then they can send it you via "speed service". Go and read the FAQs and you'll see. not as promising as it look, but maybe an option.

Just my view of the site. But if you want to try it, pls let us know what you achieved and found out! As for me, i'm going to skip that one.

Oh and isn't it funny that you can not find a single spec or data/spec sheet on the site?? Something is funny or they just don't know the products they're working with, and in that case I'm not going to do business with them, what if have you have queries or problems, your stuffed...
night tider2008-05-30 03:20:08