When wheels go BOOOOM!!!

Squier

Thanks!

I've taken it back to Fulcrum. According to them it's over inflation. I disagree, but there's no way to prove that the tyre was inflated 3.5 bar. So, unfortunately the rim is a write off.

Sent from my VKY-L09 using Tapatalk

IMO 2 bar (2.5 max) is plenty to seat a tyre but that may also be set up dependant. Running Crest ZTR with Racing Ralph.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I had a similar thing at 2.5 bar. the issue is not so much the pressure it is that part of the bead gets stuck, especially if it is not new rim tape, and then eventually it lets go and jumps past the rim lip. Well that is what I checked out after it happen. fortunately I only buckled the rim and broke a spoke.

3.5 bar is over inflated.....as is 3. Rim is probably rated lower than that, or very close to.

*** funny story, but you did it to yourself. ????

According to my floor pump, I always pump my rear tyre to 3bar. And is NEVER too hard.

Could be a shitty gauge on the pump though

Most informative thread I've read in a long time. Thanx to all for sharing. Have been warned.

Glad I could be of service. I'll let you know the next time something explodes. [emoji23]

I agree it should not explode at 3.5 bar.

I've taken Cheap and Nasty 19 mm MTB Rims to way beyond that with tubes in.

It could also have been a chemical reaction that caused the pressure to rise to many bar.

Was a chemical used to clean the rim or the Tyre ?

BTW I'm using and Ardent Race in Front and it's a very difficult Tyre to Put on and take off the rim, You actually have to use force. I still run tubes

Most newer rims have a max rating of around 3bar and are made for low pressures.

This cycling thing, never boring I tell you.

So, it's a sunny Friday afternoon and an extra fun one as I picked up a shiny new Ardent Race tyre to pop on my rear wheel before Tankwa Trek.

I get home, pop the old tyre off, pop the new one on, add some sealant and, as pomping is not my forte, quickly drive to the Engen Garage around the corner to seat the wheel on the rim. At the garage I pump the wheel 3.5 bar, as is my usual method of making sure the tyre is seated, spin it for a while to get the sealant to spread in the wheel, placed it on the back seat and drove back home. Easy as pie.

I arrived home to our leafy, green, tranquil suburb 5 minutes later knowing that once I put my wheel back on my bike it's beer o' clock by the pool. I get out, open the driver side rear door and as I touch my wheel there is an explosion akin to what I imagine Nagasaki and Hiroshima combined sounded like.

Stunned and disoriented I look up to see my kids come running out of the house. Their mouths are moving but their voices mum. A bewildered flock of hadedas flies up from the trees behind me trying to escape what must've to them sounded like the start of World War lll. I can see their beaks moving but all I hear is an incessant ringing in my ears. As I wait for the color to return to my sight I realize that the lack of color is due to my immediate surroundings being stained in Stan's white. The only thing no longer white is my underpants.

My rim had exploded. The tyre had some damage to the bead, but looked fine, but my month old Fulcrum rim was FUBAR.

It's now 3 weeks later and I'm slowly starting to recover from the shell shock. This wasn't the first time I changed a tubeless tyre, but it must probably was the last.

0d31f6bc80e88701e41ef7b82ec7bf10.jpg81edc1455988570f890c04cd1fb16ed2.jpg

Glad you ok but you must have had some ringing in your ears for a while.

Had the same thing happen to me, but fortunately my bike was in the back of my bakkie. I also seated my tyre at the garage. I put my bike in the back of the bakkie and off I go to work ‘cos after work I’m going to ride a night race. As I am just about to park in the underground parking the tyre lets go. Massive bang accompanied with an awful metallic kind of thud. I k@ked myself, I thought I had hit something or drove over something. I get out and look and look, walk around my bakkie a few times but can't see a thing wrong, so I look for damages to pillars and other cars but still can’t see a thing. So I’m a bit mystified, but kinda relieved that whatever happened caused no damage.

Anyway, after work I got to the race. As soon as I open my canopy my mystery gets solved. My bike looked like it had partaken in some sort of a bukake festival,  and the metallic bang I heard was my rim hitting the floor of the bakkie.

Archived