Hey fellow hubbers                        

The time has come to buy a new MTB. After 6 years of trusted service from my alu hardtail, my body has decided that a dual sus with longer travel is required.  I am a weekend warrior, thus the slacker geometry and longer travel will make the ride more enjoyable (or so I read).

Below are the bikes I have on my radar. You guys are welcome to comment on the list, recommend bikes I have missed or remove if I should not consider due to experience.

The option on my budget Scott Spark 930 2018 – R40k:

https://bike-addict.co.za/collections/scott/products/scott-spark-930-2018

Scott Spark 920 2017 (carbon main frame) – R49k

http://www.vbike.co.za/scott-spark-920-2017/

Trek fuel ex 9.7 2018 (carbon main frame) – R53k

https://www.trekbikes.com/za/en_ZA/bikes/mountain-bikes/trail-mountain-bikes/fuel-ex/fuel-ex-9-7-29/p/2144600-2018/?colorCode=black_red

Specialized Camper comp 2018 (carbon main frame) – R55k

https://www.specialized.com/za/en/mens-camber-comp-carbon-29---2x/p/133921?color=239846-133921

Ideally I would like to stay as close as possible to my budget of around R40k, however considering I am going to ride this for a long time I can probably stretch it a bit for good reason.

My LBS does not have any of the bikes I am looking at, and this is where I have a problem.  I do not mind buying the bike over the internet (if my LBS cannot get the bike for a competitive price). But I would like to test ride the bike.

From the treads below, it is clear that a test ride is important to make a decision.

Similar treads on bike hub:

https://community.bikehub.co.za/topic/172711-what-to-buy-scott-vs-giant-mtb/

https://community.bikehub.co.za/topic/172692-spez-camber-comp-2017-or-giant-anthem-2-2018/

https://community.bikehub.co.za/topic/171934-spaz-camber-2018-or/

Thus I have come to the point for my blabbing on in this post: I live close to JHB/PTA area and are able to drive through for a day over the weekend to test ride some bikes.  I do not know where or which bike shops have demo bikes to test based on my list above and this is where you guys come in.

I am looking for bike shops I can contact to test ride as many of the bikes in a day as possible

Do you have any friends that have any of the models you are interested in? I have seen all on your list around the area here.

The problem with test riding is that most shops will only allow you to ride on a demo bike. Nobody wants to buy a bike that has been ridden on before. So unless it is a demo already, they are normally not keen on turning their stock into second hand bikes.

First prize would be to get to dealers for the specific brands. They usually have demo bikes for this purpose.

I was on the market for a new bike a while ago and nothing i wanted was anywhere near available for test ride.

I made sure i knew what i wanted to do with the bike, and then immersed myself in reviews, taking note on specific traits i wanted in the bike, and biases that certain reviewers have (example: dirtmountainbike reviews nothing is ever long, low or slack enough, and if its made by the british its the best bike in the world)... then i just bought the bike that i wanted the most.

on a side note, i could choose my bike in 2 different specs that were the same price, the spec i wanted more was not available in my size, i ended up sacrificing spec for the correct size and it was definitely the right decision to make. make sure you get your bike in the correct size, and if you have super long legs for your height, maybe you can get away with sizing up, do the maths wrt seattube length and dropper length and required saddle height, itll be worth it

If you can hold out, bike fest will be happening in Jhb in November (April for Cape Town), so far there are over 100 different bikes that will be available for test rides.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Specialized Concept Store in Cedar Square will give you a demo Camber for the weekend. Very accommodating and helpful guys.

FDP, on 06 Mar 2018 - 10:03 PM, said:

Do you have any friends that have any of the models you are interested in? I have seen all on your list around the area here.

The problem with test riding is that most shops will only allow you to ride on a demo bike. Nobody wants to buy a bike that has been ridden on before. So unless it is a demo already, they are normally not keen on turning their stock into second hand bikes.

First prize would be to get to dealers for the specific brands. They usually have demo bikes for this purpose.

Nobody of my cycling friends have any of the models I am considering, but will be on the lookout and ask around a bit, thanks.

ouzo, on 07 Mar 2018 - 05:38 AM, said:

If you can hold out, bike fest will be happening in Jhb in November (April for Cape Town), so far there are over 100 different bikes that will be available for test rides.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not sure I can hold out that long. Bike fest looks awesome, might go even if I have bought a new bike before then.

Wet Ears, on 07 Mar 2018 - 07:06 AM, said:

Specialized Concept Store in Cedar Square will give you a demo Camber for the weekend. Very accommodating and helpful guys.

Thanks, this takes care of the Camber, now to find stores I can demo the other two

I don't know about your area but Giant stores usually also have test bikes, I would not leave them off the list either as they are good value for money.

Nobody of my cycling friends have any of the models I am considering, but will be on the lookout and ask around a bit, thanks.

Not sure I can hold out that long. Bike fest looks awesome, might go even if I have bought a new bike before then.

Thanks, this takes care of the Camber, now to find stores I can demo the other two

Second Specialized Cedar square. Great team and always willing to{ help. I initially stayed away from the Specialized brand when looking as this is not considered "boutique" (like YT, Ibis, Getty etc.) - the service and quality of the bikes when I finally decided to try them out sealed the deal.

Most Specialized stores have , or can get demo bikes .

They are more than willing to let you ride and are very helpful in setting them up .

If you East Rand based , Complete in Bedfordview will assist you .