*A bike light for UNDER R1000!!

Speedi

Mountain_lion' date='

You wouldn't happen to be an engineer by any chance ?
[/quote']

Graduated as engineer, now working in IT...

• Replies 372
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

You can never be too thin or have Too much light.

a R5000 BIKE WITH R20K LIGHTS is always faster than a 50k bike with R3k worth of lights.

Nobody will take you out with that kind of light because they wont know what your are, and everyone has a fear of the unknown.

With 4000 lumens forward and 600 red lumens rearward you could easily be mistaken for an attack helicopter, a nuclear reactor that has been broken open, perhaps even the second coming

The design brief is to have the max amount of light using 1 to 1,5kg of Li-Po or similar with a life of 2,5 hours.

All of this will be straped to a supercomutor hard tail weighing in under 8,5kg inc lights and powermeter

but a lot faster. R20k will give you 4000 lumens 6hrs at less than 1' date='5kg

What lights are you running?

[/quote']

I don't care how expensive a bike is or how much light you have. I get this feeling you're one of those folks who'll sell someone 10 000 lumens because more is better (for sales).

I got a BL Rev 3 which pushes out just under 700 lumens @ 5.5 hours @ around 700g for the whole system. Someone with 4000 lumens won't go faster then me offroad or onroad, I can guarantee you that. At a certain threshold, a person has enough light to go as fast as their body can take them, and just because you have more light than what is needed to reach that threshold doesn't mean you'll go any faster.

At my Rev 3's Medium setting, I race at night as fast as I do in daytime, and I'm not slow, if I do say so myself.

4000 lumens is overkill, and just plain stupid.

Azonic2008-06-13 08:08:48

4000 lumens is overkill' date=' and just plain stupid.

[/quote']

Hehe! Why kill when you can overkill!

You misunderstood - 4000 lumens isn't a light for night riding, it's an advanced trail-creation device. You just mount it to your bike and ride through a forest and the plants and trees disintegrate as you go along.

Viola! Instant trail!

Tongue

Azonic, has IOM got any mountains?

The BL light is excelnt value, but you cant be too fast on the downhill if the you max out at 700 lumens.

I run 840 lumens helmet mount and it has serious limitations

Try 2 BL's, one helmet one bar mount, you will go a lot quicker and you get a far better spread with the 2 attack angles.

More is always more and I will never stop somebody from having what they want if they are happy to pay for it and it is not illegal.

A good sale is where the buyer and seller are happy with the transaction

Speedi15

Now thats real fun, you can tweak it and get to understand a bit about lighting.

I will never undervalue the absolute fun that can be got making something. particualry if it is with your Ol' Man.

Brighter-Lights is trying to make a serious rear orange flashing light for us, thats the next challenge. WE WANT 500 LUMENS REARWARD which we can dim if riding in a group.

We ride all year round and 700lumens forward and and the Cateye range rearward is simply not even close to enough.

Last night's racing results... I doubt anyone of us could do faster lap times during day...

Our average speed 25km/h for a tough singletrack course... First 3 riders had Revelation-3's on.

Johannes Gerber2320:11:070:11:230:11:230:11:380:11:120:56:43  5 laps
JasonEldridge2370:11:100:11:180:11:240:11:380:11:150:56:45  5 laps
JohanBritz2410:11:080:11:410:11:570:11:580:11:500:58:34  5 laps

Lap racing does not count as you start to learn the track. Try Trans Bav, thats a better gauge.

BL, Are you using bar and helmet mounted light, we have had much better experience using 2 rather than one.

The BL light is excelnt value' date=' but you cant be too fast on the downhill if the you max out at 700 lumens.

I run 840 lumens helmet mount and it has serious limitations
[/quote']

Mr. Brighter Lights himself has clocked 70km/h using a Rev 3 at max output. If you want to go faster them I'm sure you can.

If you find that you can't top 70km/h @ 700 lumens then the limiting factor might not be your lights, but rather the size of your kahunas?

Lap racing does not count as you start to learn the track. Try Trans Bav' date=' thats a better gauge.

[/quote']

I've done Trans 3 times. I can't recall any one section right now where your speed will be limited by a decent light. Anything over 600 lumens will be enough to see you through any downhill as fast as you would do it in the day.

BL' date=' Are you using bar and helmet mounted light, we have had much better experience using 2 rather than one.
[/quote']

Using one on the bar and one on the bike doesn't work for my personally. Having two beams constantly crossing each other, in especially singletrack, disorientates me a bit, especially at race pace. If you are cruising then its fine.

I've done 70km/h with a Revelation-3 and I touch 60+ regularly with the greatest ease. To give you an idea of how hard I ride, I've done a 3:25 Karoo to Koast 8 months after I started riding a bike the first time (and it was a 12kg fully :) 

It's really difficult comparing lumens of the Cree LED's to the Seoul's used in in other lights. Both has same lumens, but...

At 70cm Cree gives 320 LUX and Seoul gives 154 LUX.... it's because the Cree has a 90deg primary beam and Seoul a 135 deg primary beam... same lumens remember... most of the Seoul's light is lost on the sides.

See this pic.... same lights, same batteries, same drivers... Seoul LED's and Cree LED's... same lumens rating... but see the difference on the trail... hmm

20080613_083823_z-power_xres.jpg

Azonic' date=' has IOM got any mountains?

[/quote']

Do you really think IOM is where I am?

Look at the results BL posted. I was 3rd boet, 44 people raced. That was last night in PE.