Repaired Carbon Frames

johanmeiring108

Could it just be bad luck or is there clear evidence of repair.?

Carbon repair has become a lucrative business.

Some guys are really very good with substantial warranty on their work.

That said, any repair should be disclosed.

Hi Thomo, all is good if it is disclosed. The challenge I have had is people did not disclose. Believe me I would have offered much less to cover my risk or decided not to purchase at all.

What I normally do when buying wheels or a frame second hand is take it to a knowledgeable LBS of my choice (not the sellers choice) and have them inspect the item.

They usually do it free of charge because of the relationship I have with them.

Hi, thank you. At risk of being uninformed, what is a LBS?

Another feature to use when buying second hand is to view the sellers ratings. If the seller has a high positive rating, this rating is only achieved through good experiences.

I don't deal with sellers who don't have a rating for this exact reason.

Hi, thanks where do I view the ratings? Boy O boy, I am uninformed!!

Hi, thank you. At risk of being uninformed, what is a LBS?

Hi, thanks where do I view the ratings? Boy O boy, I am uninformed!!

LBS = Local Bike Shop

The ratings for the seller are shown under the sellers name in the advert...

Can you be 100% sure the frames you purchased were actually repaired? it seems to me that if you have purchased more than one frame and it has broken on the repair then it would appear that there are a LOT of repaired frames out there and you seem to be getting every single one of them....

not having a dig at you at all, just saying it is weird that every frame you bought has had a defect... 

This seems like a good place to post my question. I have a Carbon frame (i promise i know the year of manufacture not just the year of purchase ;-) ) whose rear droput where the hanger connected the the frame snapped. I have spoken to a reputable repair carbon repairer who says the fix is straight forward and he has done a few of them. I would obviously disclose this when i sell the frame but I'm wondering if i should sell it as is and let the buyer fix or fix and then sell it. if i sold it as is i would obviously reduce my price by the amount i have been quoted to fix it. so if i would sell it for 8k fixed i would sell it for 5k as is if i knew the repair would cost 3k. Which would be easier to sell? 

This seems like a good place to post my question. I have a Carbon frame (i promise i know the year of manufacture not just the year of purchase ;-) ) whose rear droput where the hanger connected the the frame snapped. I have spoken to a reputable repair carbon repairer who says the fix is straight forward and he has done a few of them. I would obviously disclose this when i sell the frame but I'm wondering if i should sell it as is and let the buyer fix or fix and then sell it. if i sold it as is i would obviously reduce my price by the amount i have been quoted to fix it. so if i would sell it for 8k fixed i would sell it for 5k as is if i knew the repair would cost 3k. Which would be easier to sell?

I would think less stress to sell it as is and let the buyer have it repaired ... Then you have no responsibility later. My opinion anyway

Sent from my HUAWEI VNS-L31 using Tapatalk

Agree on the above - sell as is and let the buyer sort it....that way you are not responsible for a bad repair coming back at you....

At the end of it - no amount of explaining will cut it if the guy gets upset - even if you gave full disclosure of the repair etc...

Edited by Skinnyone

I would think less stress to sell it as is and let the buyer have it repaired ... Then you have no responsibility later. My opinion anyway

Sent from my HUAWEI VNS-L31 using Tapatalk

I purchased a cracked carbon frame from a hubber a while ago. He allowed me to take the frame to a carbon repair shop to see if it could be fixed and estimate the cost before $$ changed hands. This was the main reason I agreed to the purchase...there was less risk for the buyer.

If you can trust the buyer, this is a win - win sell!