Trek Superfly 100 elite

Rob_Lions

Hi,

I have the opportunity to buy this Full suspension Carbon frame.

It is a 2011 model Trek "Gary Fisher" Superfly 100 elite.

It seems to be in good condition but is it worth buying such an old frame? They want R5000 for it.

My current bike is a 2012 Merida 2000-D (full suspension) - 26er

I want to upgrade to a 29er (i cannot seem to keep up with the guys on the 29er when riding marathon distances) - i tend to run out of gears.

I would appreciate your thoughts

Thanks,

Robert

Good bike/frame for that money, a couple of things to look out for, the Trek BB gets oversized over time especially if you don't replace bearings often, basically the bearings don't sit tight in the frame and can creak or have play - this can be repaired by Trek in SA - costs around R3k.

Same thing on the main pivot - check the rear triangle for play - again can be repaired by Trek....

• 1 year later...

Hi. My superfly chainstay is broken. Can you put me in touch with someone who might have a spare or frame etc...?

Thanks!

Hi. My superfly chainstay is broken. Can you put me in touch with someone who might have a spare or frame etc...?

Thanks!

I had one purchased in 2012, its a great bike never had an issue with mine. However recently the frame cracked just above the FD mount, TREK warrantied the frame for the latest TOP FUEL 9.9.

That alone makes TREK a great brand.

I never had an issue with the BB or pivots, but i did replace them every 18 - 24 months before failure occurred.

I love my Treks (I have 2- a HT 26er and a dual sus 29er), it's a great brand and Dana at Trek Lynnwood as well as Danny from BSG in Lonehill / Fourways are always ready to help one out.