stay out of the road

Oliver

Wolverine, maybe ShaunH should try to get Record to publish an article about the campaign and the way things are handled by the Tshwane Municipality.

It's just another example of teh apathy present in today's society. Responses like "oh, it doesn't affect us, so why should we do anything about it?" and "not my dog" come to mind.

Get a ride going like the one coming up next week. I reckon it's the way to go. Petitions don't do anything anymore, and retaliation isn't the way to get us cyclists recognised as proper members of society.

We need a dramatic shift of midnset on the part of the drivers, as well as a change in the way some of us ride in order to be recognised as a community, before we start the name and blame en masse (yes, I am generalising - the complacent amongst us give us that bad a name) 

Become rule-abiding ourselves and we will have a leg to stand on. Not that we can't start now and get somewhere in the fight against the scourge that is cycling deaths.

Get more protest rides organised. We need to be noticed and recognised as people, not just "okes what like to be dressed funny"
cptmayhem2008-06-06 09:44:11

When riding on my road bike I dont like to ride in the gutter (I got a MTB to do that) I have found if I ride +-50Cm of the gutter of the road you get the motorists to slow down and pass you with a distance, if you are ride up against the edge of the road the drivers fly past you with out making any room or slowing down.  But I do agree this is not the way to ride I just feel safer doing it this way, especially when I am on my own.

cyclists need to be more proactive and make people aware of their sport. we should all have beware of cyclist,beware of runners and no yellow line driving bumper stickers.

i would certainly put these on both my cars if they were available

According to the road regulations I am entitles, as a vehicle to use the entire left hand side of the ROAD (not lane). ?Only when I believe it is safe to do so, I must move over to the left of the lane, to be considerate to other road users.

I have found that by cycling at least one meter from the shoulder of the road cars see me, and I can move closer to the broken shoulder as soon as I here them behind me.

I have also found thatwhen I cycle any closer to the side of the road, cars seem not to see me, and I get missed by millimeters.

Therefore, I will always use as much of the road as I feel safe to use and move when I feel it is safe for me and the motorist to give way. ?THat way cars see me, and find me considerate when I give way.