Lakes or Bonts - Advice please

Rob K

Greetings All,

I am looking for a wider than normal road cycling shoe and read that Lakes and Bont are recommended.

Can anyone advise stockists of either in Johannesburg and specifically the Fourways area?

Thanks you in advance,

Rob

Don't know who stocks them because apparently the agents are useless, but I need wiiiiide shoes and bonts are simply incredible... Have some in road and mtb, cannot fault them, and they're the only shoe that fits my Shrek foot.. Best thing about them is the bathtub type moulding of the sole, so your foot doesn't spill over, stretching the upper and causing excruciating pain... Worst case it may rub an extremety but the foot stays in place and perfectly supported.

Have heard good things about lake but can't vouch for the fit...

Neither brand is very common locally imo.

Saw some Bont and Lake @ BikeMob but they're down in Cpt.

Summit Bikes (online store) has also been advertising Lake.

Perhaps they can point you in the right direction for local agents/JHB stockists.

Thanks for the replies folks - I have received a reply from Lake so will report back.

Lakeshoes.co.za

Bont and lake shoes have a very similar fit. I have pairs from both brands.

Lake is slightly more comfortable for long distance rides.

Bont vapor xc can be very stiff and unforgiving for mtb so I use them for xco only.

Both brands cater for a wide forefoot and narrow heel. The sizing works out a little different.

If you are looking at pre 2018 model Bont then size a half size up from the size shoe Lake would be. I.e. If you are a 42 Lake then a 42.5 Bont is the equivalent size.

If the bont shies are 2018 and newer then size 1 EU size up I.e 42 lake = 43 Bont.

No local agent for bont currently so Lake is your best option

Lakeshoes.co.za

Bont and lake shoes have a very similar fit. I have pairs from both brands.

Lake is slightly more comfortable for long distance rides.

Bont vapor xc can be very stiff and unforgiving for mtb so I use them for xco only.

Both brands cater for a wide forefoot and narrow heel. The sizing works out a little different.

If you are looking at pre 2018 model Bont then size a half size up from the size shoe Lake would be. I.e. If you are a 42 Lake then a 42.5 Bont is the equivalent size.

If the bont shies are 2018 and newer then size 1 EU size up I.e 42 lake = 43 Bont.

No local agent for bont currently so Lake is your best option

Thanks so much for the info DD,

I have an appointment with the Lake agent so hopefully will have some joy.

I will report back.

Regards

Greetings All,

I am looking for a wider than normal road cycling shoe and read that Lakes and Bont are recommended.

Can anyone advise stockists of either in Johannesburg and specifically the Fourways area?

Thanks you in advance,

Rob

My Asics running shoes are 2E wide and battled for wide cycling shoes.I was told to try Specialized shoes and they are very comfortable.

My Asics running shoes are 2E wide and battled for wide cycling shoes.I was told to try Specialized shoes and they are very comfortable.

Specialized are good - nice wide toe box, but it's for the slightly wider than average foot - if you have extra wide feet they won't work for you.

I have Bonts and they dig into the back of my heel and take the skin off. Anyone had the same problem with them?

Thanks so much for the info DD,

I have an appointment with the Lake agent so hopefully will have some joy.

I will report back.

Regards

They are very accommodating. I'll definitely deal with them again and the shoes are very well made and real leather.

I have some Bonts, the cabon type that you warm up in the oven and then "mould" around your foot.

Great shoes, fantastic fit, light and stiff, but do not try and walk in them, they will take all skin off on your heel.

They unfortunately got destroyed around the cleat area, the carbon got crushed.

I have Bonts and they dig into the back of my heel and take the skin off. Anyone had the same problem with them?

Sounds like you need to remould the heel area

Summit bikes have a special on Lake shoes at the moment.

I have a pair of Scott shoes, a pair of Louis gar and a pair of Lake carbon mountain bike shoes, all size 47.

The Lake shoes have a considerable amount of extra space on the sides and the toes when compared to other shoes i have tried.

Very stiff shoes, best i have personally worn.

http://summitbikes.co.za/index.php?id_category=68&controller=category

Greetings All,

Thanks you in advance,

Rob

I know I am going to do that irritating thing where the OP ask about 2 items and then you reply with a 3rd. But try Luck shoes. They are Spanish and make handmade shoes to order. After import duty it was still cheaper than top tier specialized etc shoes and it fit like the proverbial glove

You take like 4 different measurements of your feet, including pictures of how your feet point in or outwards when in a hanging position and the then hand make.

I am very happy and have some uniqueness. You can even do personalised designs

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Folks,

Just by way of a report back.

I did get a very prompt response from Kim and James who are the Lakes agents.

The supplied superb service and I am now the proud owner of a lovely pair of Lakes.

I have only tried them on the trainer so far and will see how they feel on the Club ride tomorrow.