BMC Agonist 02 one or BMC Speedfox 01 One (2018) Vs Specialized Epic

Nemeziz_za

Hi Guys and Gals,

I am looking for some advice.

Recently I sold my Specialized Epic Expert (2015) and am in the market for a new bike. Being a rider of Specialized for a few years I've come to trust the bike but the price point is becoming painful. (In general, I guess)

I've always wanted to try BMC and I have been offered a pretty good deal on a BMC Agonist 02 One and now I'm undecided.

The Agonist is pretty new for me in the BMC range as I've normally been looking at the Fourstroke 01 two, but is the Fourstroke discontinued in 2018 / 2019? With the Agonist being a new addition to the range?

I have no reference on the Agonist model

The two obvious things that are on my mind about the bike is that the cockpit of the BMC Agonist seems busy with the lockout control and the one water bottle spacing... it's a bit of an issue for me with marathon type events.

So any advice on the BMC as a replacement contender to a natural selection of the Specialized Epic for me would be most welcome.

https://www.bmc-switzerland.com/bx-en/bikes/mountain/crosscountry-agonist-02-one/

Or as a side thought, should I consider the Speedfox (seems to be trail specific and not XC) But the trailsync tech seems to clean up the cockpit and offer a "Specialized Brain"type feature to the suspension.

https://www.bmc-switzerland.com/bx-en/bikes/bike-detail/url_variation/1374/

Hi there, I am a proud BMC owner (FS01).

Unfortunately they do not have great in store representation here in Gauteng.

Their total sales in SA make it not worthwhile for BMC to monitor quality control and or drive a strong store presence. 

My next bike wont be a BMC...  Probably a Santa Cruz... 

I own 3 BMC bike's. Would never ride anything else.

Say no to kreeky kruz.

In all seriousness bmc is quality and a smooth ride.

Hi Guys and Gals,

I am looking for some advice.

Recently I sold my Specialized Epic Expert (2015) and am in the market for a new bike. Being a rider of Specialized for a few years I've come to trust the bike but the price point is becoming painful. (In general, I guess)

I've always wanted to try BMC and I have been offered a pretty good deal on a BMC Agonist 02 One and now I'm undecided.

The Agonist is pretty new for me in the BMC range as I've normally been looking at the Fourstroke 01 two, but is the Fourstroke discontinued in 2018 / 2019? With the Agonist being a new addition to the range?

I have no reference on the Agonist model

The two obvious things that are on my mind about the bike is that the cockpit of the BMC Agonist seems busy with the lockout control and the one water bottle spacing... it's a bit of an issue for me with marathon type events.

So any advice on the BMC as a replacement contender to a natural selection of the Specialized Epic for me would be most welcome.

https://www.bmc-switzerland.com/bx-en/bikes/mountain/crosscountry-agonist-02-one/

Or as a side thought, should I consider the Speedfox (seems to be trail specific and not XC) But the trailsync tech seems to clean up the cockpit and offer a "Specialized Brain"type feature to the suspension.

https://www.bmc-switzerland.com/bx-en/bikes/bike-detail/url_variation/1374/

Thanks for the reply, I recently moved from SA and there is a larger BMC Support network here than what was available in SA.

It was for the reason you mentioned that I never bought a BMC when I was in SA and why I chose the Specialized.

But now with having access to a decent BMC support network, its back on my radar.

I own 3 BMC bike's. Would never ride anything else.

Say no to kreeky kruz.

In all seriousness bmc is quality and a smooth ride.

Being a marathon XC rider myself, and you being an owner of a number of BMC bikes which model would you recommend I focus on in my selection consideration?

Agonist is essentially a Marathon oriented bike. Slightl slacker, slightly longer, slightly lower than the Fourstroke. Having ridden the Agonist back to back against the Fourstroke I'd say BMC nailed the feel of the bike into the right category. it feels like a little more effort is required to steer but its still quick and light with a little more feedback. 

The fourstroke feels fast and responsive under pedal. The Agonist feels a little forgiving and softer almost slightly hesitant before getting going.

Of the two my favourite pick would be the Fourstroke because I like a responsive ride.

I don't like the Epic's brain controlled rear suspension. It still clunks open and closed and I feel perched on top of it rather than part of it like I did on the Fourstroke and Agonist.

Agonist is essentially a Marathon oriented bike. Slightl slacker, slightly longer, slightly lower than the Fourstroke. Having ridden the Agonist back to back against the Fourstroke I'd say BMC nailed the feel of the bike into the right category. it feels like a little more effort is required to steer but its still quick and light with a little more feedback. 

The fourstroke feels fast and responsive under pedal. The Agonist feels a little forgiving and softer almost slightly hesitant before getting going.

Of the two my favourite pick would be the Fourstroke because I like a responsive ride.

I don't like the Epic's brain controlled rear suspension. It still clunks open and closed and I feel perched on top of it rather than part of it like I did on the Fourstroke and Agonist.

very helpful feedback, so would you say the Agonist is similar to the Camber in the Specialized lineup and the Fourstroke to the Epic?

I have to agree with your comment regarding the brain... 

Yes I'd say the Agonist is closer to the camber. Similar suspension travel to at 110mm.

Fourstroke would be the Epic equivalent.

What i will say is that both feel more stable than their Specialized equivalents i.e the steering feels more weighted and you get bounced off line less at the recommended sag settings.