Best silverback under R10k

chaka

Which silverback entry level hardtail should i get for less than R10k but with great specs

I have a Spectra Sport which is a great  entry/mid-range hardtail

Some people will argue that's a "very" entry level hardtail...  Having ridden one myself and knowing what it's capable of, I tend to agree that it borders on mid-range.  Especially if you slap proper tyres on, as they are issued with rubber that is reminiscent of doggy doo-doo!

Although I would be very inclined to say go for Silverback, being good quality and all, on a R10k budget you could also look at GT, Trek, Giant, Specialized, Scott...  All got some descent options!

The best Silverback under R10k (new) would probably be the Spectra Comp, but the option with the air fork.  Sola 3 (2018) if you can stretch your budget to R11k.  I don't know if you are starting out or just looking for something else, but if you're starting out, remember that you need to make an allowance for helmet and other necessities to start with before you start floating your budget.

Oh, and stay away from the Silverback Stride, as that one is indeed... uhm... "very entry level"...

Also consider buying second hand.  You might end up finding something in a much higher cost range and/or higher specs and still end up paying less than R10k.  I personally would lock on to a set budget and see what's the best second hand option I can get my filthy hands on!  Trolling the classifieds is a good start.

Some people will argue that's a "very" entry level hardtail...  Having ridden one myself and knowing what it's capable of, I tend to agree that it borders on mid-range.  Especially if you slap proper tyres on, as they are issued with rubber that is reminiscent of doggy doo-doo!

Although I would be very inclined to say go for Silverback, being good quality and all, on a R10k budget you could also look at GT, Trek, Giant, Specialized, Scott...  All got some descent options!

The best Silverback under R10k (new) would probably be the Spectra Comp, but the option with the air fork.  Sola 3 (2018) if you can stretch your budget to R11k.  I don't know if you are starting out or just looking for something else, but if you're starting out, remember that you need to make an allowance for helmet and other necessities to start with before you start floating your budget.

Oh, and stay away from the Silverback Stride, as that one is indeed... uhm... "very entry level"...

Also consider buying second hand.  You might end up finding something in a much higher cost range and/or higher specs and still end up paying less than R10k.  I personally would lock on to a set budget and see what's the best second hand option I can get my filthy hands on!  Trolling the classifieds is a good start.

I'm not sure about Giant, but I assume you generally get more bang for your buck with a Silverback, as opposed to a GT, Trek, Specialized or Scott.

I'm not sure about Giant, but I assume you generally get more bang for your buck with a Silverback, as opposed to a GT, Trek, Specialized or Scott.

I'll have to agree.  The others might have lighter frames, but you'll be compromising on components...  Plus, I'm no weight weeny.  And last I checked, Silverback still had the lifetime warranty thing on their frames.  I don't know if any of the others offer the same.

Between the silverback spectra sport and silverback spectra comp which do you recommend when starting out

Between the silverback spectra sport and silverback spectra comp which do you recommend when starting out

When starting out and you aren't sure that you'll really get into it seriously, I'd say go for the Spectra Sport.  It's cheaper and reliable as dirt!  If you already made up your mind and want something that will last you longer before needing/wanting to upgrade, I'd definitely recommend the Spectra Comp with air sprung fork (if it has 2x10 drivetrain also, even better).

The air sprung fork will cost slightly more in terms of maintenance, but if you go with a coil sprung fork and start to get more serious, it'll be the first thing you're going to want to upgrade.  Hence, getting it from the start is just better...

Also, just ignore everything I've said above and get the Spectra Comp with air sprung fork and 2x10 drivetrain, because you'll love mountain biking and the Comp will be better in terms of quality, comfort and longevity!