Need a good starting mountain bike

igrefaie

Hi I want to start cycling and need recommendation on a mountain good bike to start with. Im on low budget so will go for a used bikes around R 4000. Thanks Ibrahim

Hi and welcome.

Makro has a good value bike available for around R4500, think it was called the Cannondale Trail 5 and I think it is slightly better specced than the Cannondale trail 7.

There is a whole discussion about it here:
https://community.bikehub.co.za/topic/178571-makro-cannondale/?hl=makro+cannondale

edit: can't believe I just recommended a "makro bike", but to be just, its finally a good offering!

Edited by Dirkitech

Yes agree with Dirkitech look at the Cannondale's at Makro if you could go up to the R4500 it should be a great starting bike plus it's a good frame worth upgrading on later. The biggest difference between the Trail 5 and the Trail 7 I would say would be the hydraulic disc brakes on the 5 as to the cable discs on the 7.

Thank you all. what about the Silverback stride 29 HD 9? i see a used one on sale for similar price?

Edited by igrefaie

Hi and welcome.

Makro has a good value bike available for around R4500, think it was called the Cannondale Trail 5 and I think it is slightly better specced than the Cannondale trail 7.

There is a whole discussion about it here:

https://community.bikehub.co.za/topic/178571-makro-cannondale/?hl=makro+cannondale

edit: can't believe I just recommended a "makro bike", but to be just, its finally a good offering!

A bit more info is required like:

* Height and weight (For frame size)

* 26'er or 29'er (Size of the wheels)

* What type of riding do you want to do? (Racing snake, Weekend warrior or very casual)

* Hard tail (front suspension only) or Dual Suspension (as the name says)

* Budget for some cycling gear as well (decent pair of shorts and a helmet)

Welcome to the cycling world  :thumbup:

* What type of riding do you want to do? (Racing snake, Weekend warrior or very casual)

https://community.bikehub.co.za/topic/179122-need-a-good-starting-mountain-bike/

Nevermind, admin to the rescue!

Welcome to the cycling world :thumbup:

Thanks, im 172 and weight 82. Looking for29er and will be doing casual rides.im not sure of the suspensions but want to spend average 4k excl the gears.

Thank you all. what about the Silverback stride 29 HD 9? i see a used one on sale for similar price?

Hey dude Silverback makes excellent bikes and the Stride 29 HD 9 looks a decent entry level offering from them. It will definitely suit for what you are aiming to do.

However take what I say with a pinch of salt as I am very biased towards them seeing as nearly every bike I have owned has been one of theirs.

Just a little correction, that will help you as a newbie.

Need a good starting mountain bike

good or no good, is in the legs   ^_^