black friday... buying a drone

rudi-h

Thanks for the info.  Do you have contact details for DJI drowntown in CT?  A google search only links to a .com site which is an international outfit.

How big issue is the gimbal design on the mavic pro?  And what was the reason for damaging the ribbon cables?  The Mavic 2 is literally double the price and from my understanding the improvements are mostly related to the camera and object tracking.  Neither things that I need to be top notch.

+27 21 224 0908...https://www.dronedeals.co.za/

The "refurbs" from these guys come direct from DJI with original warranty as per a new one.

The gimbal on the original MP is very delicate and the three motors are electronically connected by a ribbon power cable that threads it way through the gimbal connecting to each motor..its a very thin ribbon and prone to bends and damage from "uncontrolled" landings!  Replacement with original costs about R2500 excl labour...you can do it yourself but its finnicky.....with the new model Mavic, the gimbal is designed like the Mavic Air, enclosed and no cables exposed and looks a lot sturdier, probably using the phantom series as base design. As for the new model, its really is all about the camera and the improvements are vast, bigger sensor, better speeds, improved stability...it really is a vast improvement...but you pay....if its just for the odd aerial shot, the AIR is the way to go, very portable but limited to much lower range and slightly shorter battery life...but good video 4K up to 30fps...

Edit: Mavic Pro sample....https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WsrybXPib-Y&t=26s

Edited by capediver

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

You don't need a license ... only for commercial purposes... to spy on you neighbor you don't need a license.

This might be experienced as an invasion of privacy issue, so if you do it.  DO NOT post the video of your neighbour, his wife or offspring sunbathing topless onto YOUTUBE.  you may get more than a PK.....

cape diver

I am after the mavic air - maybe a refurb. Does the gimbal suffer from the same problems you mention above ?

cape diver

I am after the mavic air - maybe a refurb. Does the gimbal suffer from the same problems you mention above ?

Not that I have seen or heard.....the gimbal and camera on the Air are much more recessed and robust than the MP...the MP camera dangles like a few small grapes and wobbles around violently when not secured...having said that, mine survived being in my backpack during filming and riding in the French Alps recently...see video and my YT channel....(the carrier bag that comes with it is the best...none of those hard shell ones comes close..it just carries everything in the best compact way)...I did throw out the standard gimbal clamp and bubble thingy and got the combo bubble that holds the camera very steady...this is the black hole referred to earlier....upgraded props, spare props, batteries, landing leg extensions, filters, said hardshell covers, mini iPad for remote controller, iPad holder (ditched as mini Ipad fits remote perfectly)..L-shaped connectors form Ipad to remote...the list goes on!!