The Comfort Conundrum

TyronLab

The budget comfort conundrum  

19 members have voted

1. 1. Which option would you choose on a budget?

• Upgrade current bike with dropper, HB, Stem, Tyres
    • 27.5 Plus Hardtail Trail bike, New
    • 27.5 Plus FS Trail bike, 2nd Hand
    • 29er FS XC bike, 2nd hand
    • Fat Bike

When it comes to comfort tire pressure is key.

Ive seen many people having a hard ride because of their hard tires.

Go tubeless and run your tires less than 2 bar

Depending on your weight you can run the back between 1.6-1.9bar

I would keep everything as is - maybe better flats - and wait for six to none months and rethink the whole thing.

In that time save every penny you can which will justify another buy and make it feel good.

Get to test ride some bikes.

That takes the fun out of it  :P

I would keep everything as is - maybe better flats - and wait for six to none months and rethink the whole thing.

In that time save every penny you can which will justify another buy and make it feel good.

Get to test ride some bikes.

I agree with Porqui, this is what I've just done.

I had a Merida HT that served me well for 2,000km's. The tubeless conversion and a decent pair of bib shorts did wonders for comfort levels.

Feel like you're either going to end up with a similar grade HT (that has the same issues you're currently dealing with), or you're going to have to sacrifice a lot to get a second hand FS (and you'll probably want to upgrade that asap anyways). 

I'd rather spend the R2k - R3k on the conversion, and proper bib-shorts. Save your pennies and when you're ready get something proper that ticks all the boxes.  

I've already done a tubeless conversion on my current bike and have a good set of Anatomic bib shorts. 

The more I look into it, the more I'm starting to fancy a trail hardtail with plus tyres. It seems like it'll be a great balance between comfort, capability and efficiency for the type of riding I do. I don't know if I really want a full suspension bike to be honest. It just creates more faff and stuff to go wrong.

Something like a Trek Roscoe, or Merida Big Trail seems like possible winners.

Thanks for everyone's input so far!

I've already done a tubeless conversion on my current bike and have a good set of Anatomic bib shorts. 

The more I look into it, the more I'm starting to fancy a trail hardtail with plus tyres. It seems like it'll be a great balance between comfort, capability and efficiency for the type of riding I do. I don't know if I really want a full suspension bike to be honest. It just creates more faff and stuff to go wrong.

Something like a Trek Roscoe, or Merida Big Trail seems like possible winners.

Thanks for everyone's input so far!

That Roscoe looks like great value.

Archived