Which second hand bike to buy?

bettina19860

Hi everyone,

I would need advise please. I would like to buy a second hand bike entry level and would need some advise in which one to buy. The options are Giant Revel or Silverback Alpine. They both sell it for the same price. Which one should I go for? The Silverback is driven more often but comes serviced and everything. The Giant has only be driven 7 times and was more in the garage.

Some advise would be very appreciated.

Personally I would go for the newer one if all else is equal.

, but there are so many other factors to consider like size (bike size is probably the most important consideration when buying a bike), components overall condition, price etc.

If the sizes are right and components similar and condition good, get the one that looks nicest to you.

The Alpine is quite old and is a 26er. Some people consider these outdated and won't touch them, others are happy to ride 26er. The Revel came in 26 and 29 inch and I think 27.5.

Edited by Eugene

The Revel is also 26 but I am very short only 160 cm so I think the size should be fine? What do you think about Titan? Thats my third option :-)

Also the lady who sells the Alpine said she bought it three years ago new if you say they are quite old can that be? She said she bought it for over 10.000 Rand. What do you think Eugene?

Forgot to mention have a GT as well. It is a GT Aggressor 3 years old, 26 size and 21 speed. Has never been ridden before was just standing in the garage. 

I doubt strongly that any 26er unless kids bike would be 3 years old everybody moved (manufacturers) to 29er or 650b by 2014. But 26ers can still be fun the good thing about them is you can get a good spec 26er for R3-4k maybe see if one of them Makro's doesn't have any of the cannondale trail 7's left they where around 4k could be a good bike for beginner.

The Revel is also 26 but I am very short only 160 cm so I think the size should be fine? What do you think about Titan? Thats my third option :-)

Wheel size and frame size are 2 different things. It could have 26 inch wheels but could still be extra large.

Look for a 29er, 26er is out dated and you will enjoy the 29er more....

Don't buy into marketing hype. This comment is about a subjective as it gets! Nothing wrong with any wheel size, I have no more fun or enjoyment on my 29er then I do on my 26er. Some great deals to be had on 26ers as people think they are outdated.

Unfortunately without looking at each bike, seeing the spec and forks etc it's near impossible to give useful advice on which of your choices would be best.

Also the lady who sells the Alpine said she bought it three years ago new if you say they are quite old can that be? She said she bought it for over 10.000 Rand. What do you think Eugene?

Trying to search the Silverback site, but it is so damn slow. Maybe I'm mistaken on the Alpine's age, but if my memory serves me correct, they stopped making the Alpine some years back.

Maybe you will have better luck on the Silverback site. Www.silverbacklab.com. There should be an archive section there which will show their older bikes and the years they were made.

Unless the seller got hold of a really old stock new bike, I doubt that she could have bought it three years ago.

I found this.

https://community.bikehub.co.za/topic/56015-silverback-alpine-review-please/

Edited by Eugene