Barrage to Parys and back 29 Dec

Zatek

Visiting my parents this weekend and thinking of cycling to Parys FS and back with a coffee stop. How is the road and traffic? Looking to take the road bikes.

Depends on which road you take. There is a road that goes from Barrage, over the river, and eventually links up to the R59. That road is not so busy, rolling bumps(not hills, vaal is flat as a pancake) If you travel R59 though, it gets a bit busier, but then again there is a wide enough shoulder, and the surface is good. I use the R59 quite a lot, never had any issues, touch wood. Just be safe and visible.

Visiting my parents this weekend and thinking of cycling to Parys FS and back with a coffee stop. How is the road and traffic? Looking to take the road bikes.

What route are you planning? I am not very sure about the roads leading out from Barrage, but I am assuming your starting point will be at about where Pont de Val is on the Freestate side of the Vaal River? Then up to and past the Bon-Af berry farm, then with the R59 to Parys? Saturday 29 shouldn't be too busy on the R59, it's usually more busy on a Sunday. From Barrage to the R59 should be very quiet. That should give a round trip of about 60km.

post-1034-0-07360700-1545985877_thumb.jpg

The R59 has mostly wide yellow shoulders and carries a bit of traffic. The Barrage road does not have wide shoulders (barely any), although it does not carry as much traffic. Both have good road surfaces.

The R59 from Sasolburg to the N1 does carry a bit of traffic, but again there are wide yellow lanes.  (definition of a "bit of traffic" is relative to the area, but actually quiet by Jhb standards)

If you decide to go via Sasolburg, be acutely vigilant at the intersection to Sasolburg. It is a dangerous intersection.

Will be traveling from Pont du Val to Parys and back the same route

You will definitely enjoy your ride! :thumbup: But you may just be in for a wet ride though.... Rain predicted for tomorrow morning throughout the entire day, Sunday morning looking a bit better.

Here's the route profile from Pont du Val to Parys. 

post-1034-0-75477900-1546013420_thumb.jpg

Archived