Okavango/Klipheuwel/R304/Bottelary Road loop

Rudii

Good day

I'm fairly new to road riding and looking to do the Okavango/Klipheuwel/R304/Bottelary Road loop, I've done Klipheuwel to R304 and back a few times but would like to add a bit more distance. Can anyone provide me with some info relating to the following, keeping in mind that i tend to do solo rides:

1. total distance 
  2. road safety .i.e. is there sufficient shoulder on this route?
  3. general safety i.e is there any 'criminal elements' I should be aware of?

Thanks 

R304 and Bottelary is fine. Big enough shoulder, safe and you will find quite a bit of cyclists on those roads.

Not sure about Klipheuwel going solo? Other guys staying that side can advise..

To plan your routes/distances use Strava Route Builder.

although there have been incidents at the township in front of silos (ie Klipheuwel) and some deaths from car drivers on almost all these roads - I ride the routes solo all the time.

You should look at all the local regional roads - just about all have a good wide shoulder.

Ideas : Durbanville to Malmesbury, Riebeeck Kasteel Slent direction wellington and Paarl or R312, Klipheuwel R304 Bottelary Stellenbosch Helshoogte to Franschhoek or direction Polka or direction SSW  etc. all good roads

Have a look at the heat map on Strava to see where most cycle traffic.

Some serious incidents just before Stellenbosch (R304 and R44) ie. at Kayamandi and Cloetesville region and at first bend on Helshoogte.

Also not wise to go solo via Phisantekraal township (lightenburg ? road) and be sharp when you cross the rail line on Kromme Rhee (also no shoulder in Kromme Rhee)

But keep your eyes open and remember hundreds of other cyclist ride the roads all the time.

Just always be aware and look at the pedestrians to see their interest in you as you approach then judge what you want to do - swerve or u-turn etc.

Not trying to frighten you - as I say I ride all these roads solo all the time and see many solo ladies as well.

Re distances - many options - use Google maps for sa - right click - select measure distance - plan your route by dropping pins as you explore - you can even go to "street view" to see what it looks like.

see you out there !

Edited by Max Headroom

although there have been incidents at the township in front of silos (ie Klipheuwel) and some deaths from car drivers on almost all these roads - I ride the routes solo all the time.

You should look at all the local regional roads - just about all have a good wide shoulder.

Ideas : Durbanville to Malmesbury, Riebeeck Kasteel Slent direction wellington and Paarl or R312, Klipheuwel R304 Bottelary Stellenbosch Helshoogte to Franschhoek or direction Polka or direction SSW  etc. all good roads

Have a look at the heat map on Strava to see where most cycle traffic.

Some serious incidents just before Stellenbosch (R304 and R44) ie. at Kayamandi and Cloetesville region and at first bend on Helshoogte.

Also not wise to go solo via Phisantekraal township (lightenburg ? road) and be sharp when you cross the rail line on Kromme Rhee (also no shoulder in Kromme Rhee)

But keep your eyes open and remember hundreds of other cyclist ride the roads all the time.

Just always be aware and look at the pedestrians to see their interest in you as you approach then judge what you want to do - swerve or u-turn etc.

Not trying to frighten you - as I say I ride all these roads solo all the time and see many solo ladies as well.

Re distances - many options - use Google maps for sa - right click - select measure distance - plan your route by dropping pins as you explore - you can even go to "street view" to see what it looks like.

see you out there !

Thank you for the info, this is very helpful.

Good day

I'm fairly new to road riding and looking to do the Okavango/Klipheuwel/R304/Bottelary Road loop, I've done Klipheuwel to R304 and back a few times but would like to add a bit more distance. Can anyone provide me with some info relating to the following, keeping in mind that i tend to do solo rides:

1. total distance 
  2. road safety .i.e. is there sufficient shoulder on this route?
  3. general safety i.e is there any 'criminal elements' I should be aware of?

Thanks 

The loop as you describe it is perfectly fine to cycle(or as safe as you will get in the area)

I cycle it often on my own.

I often cycle past Fisantekraal settlement - I appreciate it is not the safest place but I have never had an issue there, just be aware of your surroundings.

Edit - To add, consider swapping Okavango for Brackenfell Boulevard if you are on the road cycle, it has a shoulder all the way (except for the N1 crossing)

Edited by Skubarra

R304 and Bottelary is fine. Big enough shoulder, safe and you will find quite a bit of cyclists on those roads.

Not sure about Klipheuwel going solo? Other guys staying that side can advise..

To plan your routes/distances use Strava Route Builder.

Thank you

I ride and have ridden this route more often than i care to remember.I reside close to Cape Gate and the distance via brackenfell boulavard is approx 67ks with about 410 metres of elevation.

• 2 months later...

Hi guys 2 incedents today in the Brackenfell and Stellenbosch area. One on the Bottelary Green route bike was stolen. As well as at Kayamandi bike stolen. Getting nervous to go out.

Is the one on Bottelary the same one that happened on Wednesday evening? Three youngster grabbing a rider's bike or is this a new incident?

Wanting to do Bottelary for a while now but if this is happening more frequent I'll stick to Tygerberg trails.

Hi guys 2 incedents today in the Brackenfell and Stellenbosch area. One on the Bottelary Green route bike was stolen. As well as at Kayamandi bike stolen. Getting nervous to go out.

Yes the same one. I must say did the Green route yesterday no issues what so ever. Ran into a couple other cyclist on route, they were aware of the incident but also no issues. Apparently some security have been patrolling.