How to travel with bike from Johannesburg to the Lesotho traverse and back

Hi all,

We are 2 Belgian friends planning to ride the Lesotho traverse (http://www.bikepacking.com/routes/lesotho-traverse/) or at least part of it, in the week of the 21st of January.

The very kind people on the 'Bicycle Touring & Bikepacking' group on facebook referred to this forum to raise my question concerning the travel towards Lesotho and back.

So, we are still looking how to get ourselves and our bikes safely from Johannesburg to Maseru and from our end point back to Johannesburg. Endpoint would be near Underberg or near Clarens (as a second option, if we choose to take the dragon's spine route up north when meeting that track in central Lesotho).

Any suggestions? (Unfortunately we won't have the time to cycle all the way from Joburg to Lesotho and back)

NB: We already figured out how we could get from Underberg to Pietermaritzburg with a shutlle. Some people say you can then take a bus up to Johannesburg, but I'm still wondering which bus company allows you to take a bike on the bus (and does so safely)

Thanks in advance.

Seppe

Seppe

The years have shown me that the  BikeHub mostly keeps office hours as we all prefer to waste our employer's time rather than our own, and weekends are often quite quiet.

If you don't get many replies over the weekend, BUMP your post on Monday morning and you will get much better response.

Either way, good luck with your ride and tell us how it went.

Thank you Eddy,

I will follow your advice. how do you bump a post? by replying?

Seppe

Seppe

The years have shown me that the  BikeHub mostly keeps office hours as we all prefer to waste our employer's time rather than our own, and weekends are often quite quiet.

If you don't get many replies over the weekend, BUMP your post on Monday morning and you will get much better response.

Either way, good luck with your ride and tell us how it went.

I would guess there is a bus service to Maseru. Kind of like greyhound. You would meet some interesting locals on that ride.

This looks awesome, wish you the best of luck for it. I'm not sure what the latest is but they are finally tarring sani pass, so might have some construction crews to dodge the.