Bike packing routes in South Africa?

Davo 95

Hey fellow tourers and bike packers. What are the most amazing routes and tours you've done in our country? I'm busy piecing together a trip and I would love to hear your experiences and routes you've done!

BTW I'm not looking at organised tours or anything, I simply enjoy mapping my own routes and doing them.

Thanks again.

Cheers

I did a bit of the West Coast, Cederberg and some of the Tankwa. Man I loved it. About 4 weeks in all. There are a lot more camping spots than I thought. Brilliant stuff. Good luck and enjoy. I hope to be going again soon.

Planning on doing something along this route starting from Loxton onto the flowers on the west coast in Winter :whistling:  :eek:

Any advice on camping grounds (warm!) and where to rest?

Appreciate your info.

Check out maps.me

The app has a lot of info on routes and places to stay for just about any kind of trip

Tried this but have to download all sorts of stuff first (not needed) and then a Garmin App   etc etc.

Wish there was a simpler way as computers etc are new to me!

Planning on doing something along this route starting from Loxton onto the flowers on the west coast in Winter :whistling:  :eek:

Any advice on camping grounds (warm!) and where to rest?

Appreciate your info.

last year around September I did a route down the west coast, I really recommend cycling into Hondeklip baai, nice place with cozy guesthouses, decent coffee shop and flowers. You can then cycle towards Garries, on the way you'll pass the entrance to the Namaqualand National Park. We spoke to a lady in Hondeklip who owned the  and organised an annual trek through the park and to the entrance officers of the park, there is a possibility of cycling through it if you have the right equipment and bike setup [which I did not], don't think you'll have a more spectacular scenery for flora, but in the park itself you'll be limited to camping.

Also check out the railway reserve road from Lamberts down to Dwarskerbos, there are so many flowers and tortoises out during that time, plus a well kept dirt road with few corrugations.

Will look at my maps. There are lots of places. Not all on the maps unfortunately. Not sure how to find camping spots on the internet.

Thats cool, no problem.  Just thought you may have some interesting aspects of your trip.

Always best to chat to the guys who have actually been there.

Looking at the maps and sat images, there is not too much going on out there which is all good.