Mavic Ksyrium Elite UST/first impressions of tubeless road wheels/Tyres

crasher

With my daughter racing sprint triathlons I wanted to try eliminate as much as possible the puncture issue.

In this race format a puncture is race ending position wise and so I decided to make the change to UST.

She has Ksyrium Elites on the bike originally and was going to go to Cosmic's but after some deliberation ended up buying the Ksyrium set up.

Came complete with Tyres and sealants valves tools everything to get going in one box.

Only extra expense was a new casette.

Set up and infaltion etc absolute pleasure but made a right mess of filling the sealant and wasted a lot.

Not sure I like the syringe and pipe they supply and need to give it a bit of thought on a better way to do sealant but that will come with trial and error I suppose.

But as I said compared to mounting MTB tyres what a pleasure the Mavic tyres seat instantly.

Fitted them to the bike and glad I went with same brand as brakes/block position and chain alignment gear selection absolutely perfect match to old set didn't need anything tweaked which was a bonus.

Finally can do some riding and comparisons and as I said above this is first ride and impressions and not long distance.

With the pressures at 6.2 the ride quality is just so much better it really was a surprising and unexpected at how nice the bike would feel at these lower pressures and on bad road surfaces even more apparent.

I weigh 68kgs and ever did a couple of kms below the recommended minimum of 5 bar and the bike was still perfect and still felt ok.

Daughter weighs just over 50kgs pretty sure she would be to suffer a puncture / loss of pressure and still be to finish easily on 3 bar but haven't tested this.

Getting back on my bike with my 23c at 8.5 really bought home how nice the ride was on the lower pressure UST.

I am very happy I made the switch have one less thing to worry about have improved the ride quality.

I weighed both sets of wheels as a comparison complete with skewers and cassette's

UST F 995g R 1490 with sealant 1035 and 1535

STD F 1070  R 1550

UST as a set 50g lighter the STD Ksyriums had conti 4000S2s on 25c

Anyways just a bit of early feedback that may help anyone thinking of changing

Recently upgraded to a set of mavic cosmic carbon pro UST wheels. Did not actually plan on setting up tubeless as I was not convinced tubeless on a road bike is a good thing. But when everything came pre-setup how could I resist....

Setup was such a breeze with everything included and pre-setup, even held air before adding sealant. 30min after unpacking was up and running.

Can also concur that running lower pressure makes riding much more comfortably, I'm running 6bar versus 8bar on tubes. Done ~300km so far so good.

Good to hear your experience. I found it helped to add sealant at a 4 o'clock position so does not push out after adding, lesson learnt the hard way..

Edited by energiaMTB

Recently upgraded to a set of mavic cosmic carbon pro UST wheels. Did not actually plan on setting up tubeless as I was not convinced tubeless on a road bike is a good thing. But when everything came pre-setup how could I resist....

Setup was such a breeze with everything included and pre-setup, even held air before adding sealant. 30min after unpacking was up and running.

Can also concur that running lower pressure makes riding much more comfortably, I'm running 6bar versus 8bar on tubes. Done ~300km so far so good.

Good to hear your experience. I found it helped to add sealant at a 4 o'clock position so does not push out after adding, lesson learnt the hard way..

Exactly the same experience for me.  Used 25mm Mavic tyres.