Gravel Routes in Stellenbosch

GRocket

Hey Guys

I am in Stellenbosch for the coming easter weekend. I will be bringing my brand new Norco gravel bike along.

Looking for some great gravel riding trails to prepare for Race to the Sun. can anyone guide me on gravel bike friendly routes or is there anyone going for some nice long rides from Friday to Sunday ?

Thanks for any advice

I have plenty mtb routes that i have found that look amazing im just not sure which one i can manage on the gravel bike? 

Contour forestry roads in Jonkershoek are mostly do-alble. You will have to do a few laps for milage (if you like climbing)

Wanabee trails west of the R44 are also mostly gravel friendly - should be able to do a 70-100km loop.

For longer farm road rides, drive out to Durbanville.

Contour forestry roads in Jonkershoek are mostly do-alble. You will have to do a few laps for milage (if you like climbing)

Wanabee trails west of the R44 are also mostly gravel friendly - should be able to do a 70-100km loop.

For longer farm road rides, drive out to Durbanville.

thanks so much for this, wannabee trails seem most recommended so far , dont mind hitting lots of laps. appreciate your advice

Hit Jonkers, clap all the Contour roads, and then go down to town, hope all left into coetzenburg, st the hangbrug go up, across to the dam, up again via the proefplaas roads into Eden, hit a bunch of contours there or even the singletracks, and then you can drop down to the Blaauwklippen Rd and follow that to the R44 at Audacia. If the market is open have a resupply and then head back.

Go take a look at the Stellenbosch Trail Fund maps at the trailhead if you are unsure.

From Stellenbosch head out onto the Stellenbosch Arterial road, take Devon Valley road past JC le Roux, up and over the hill down to Bottelary Road. Take a right at the circle head to R304 and cross it onto Kromme Rhee. (This bit just to avoid Kayamandi). 

Take a left onto the service road next to the railway line. Cross railway line and left onto Muldersvlei. Carry on over the N1 onto Herculus Pilaar - becomes a gravel road. Follow  onto Protea Road and left onto Eenzaamheid. Take a right at Langvlei road. Take a right at Vryguns Road. 

Head to Noord Agter Paarl, get onto the Bergpad, up and over until you get to the Taal Monument road. Turn left own the hill, right at the T-junction and over the N1. Take a right onto the R101. From there you can ride on the gravel shoulder next to the road until you cross Muldersvlei Road and follow the same way back to Stellenbosch via the railway line. 

Should give you close to 110km's. with a mixture of gravel and tar roads. 

post-129623-0-50701200-1555327531_thumb.jpg

From Stellenbosch head out onto the Stellenbosch Arterial road, take Devon Valley road past JC le Roux, up and over the hill down to Bottelary Road. Take a right at the circle head to R304 and cross it onto Kromme Rhee. (This bit just to avoid Kayamandi).

Take a left onto the service road next to the railway line. Cross railway line and left onto Muldersvlei. Carry on over the N1 onto Herculus Pilaar - becomes a gravel road. Follow onto Protea Road and left onto Eenzaamheid. Take a right at Langvlei road. Take a right at Vryguns Road.

Head to Noord Agter Paarl, get onto the Bergpad, up and over until you get to the Taal Monument road. Turn left own the hill, right at the T-junction and over the N1. Take a right onto the R101. From there you can ride on the gravel shoulder next to the road until you cross Muldersvlei Road and follow the same way back to Stellenbosch via the railway line.

Should give you close to 110km's. with a mixture of gravel and tar roads.

You have strava for that route?

This route is proper CX and will not disappoint!

Many has dine it only once.......

I will be riding it on Friday if you want to join.

Drop me a PM or WhatsApp.

Zero eight 2 5685747