Dynamo hubs - service

Sepia

What Brakepad said is all correct. I am using one at the moment and it is difficult to turn. If you connect a light or a power bank it will become even more difficult. When sitting in a fork, you can't feel the difference and it seems to spin freely, but holding it in your hand does make one worried.

What Brakepad said is all correct. I am using one at the moment and it is difficult to turn. If you connect a light or a power bank it will become even more difficult. When sitting in a fork, you can't feel the difference and it seems to spin freely, but holding it in your hand does make one worried.

Thanks Dusty but it was never this tight before.  I am going to try and loosen it a tad?

Hi Sepia

I have 3 SP hubs, I think your Supernova is a licensed version of the SP (Shutter Precision), but I might be incorrect.

I’ve imported and laced them myself. Out the box, before lacing I found them incredibly hard to turn by hand, but on the bike after lacing to the rim the spin easier.

Sadly the SP dynamo hubs are not user serviceable and they have to be sent back to the manufacturer for services ... thus I doubt you’ll find someone in SA to service it.

I have also decided to rather import the SON hub for my next build, which is user serviceable.

If you do find someone to service it locally, please let me know, I need a bearing replaced on one of the hubs. Was planning on opening and replacing it myself ... :)

Eddie, is correct, the Supernova is made under license from Shutter Precision.  I know one cannot service the SP hub yourself and you have to send it back to SP in Taiwan to be serviced.  I had a SP hub that I bought directly from the factory.  I am not the strongest cyclist on earth and did one R2R and one Desert Dash with the hub and suffered much more than the R2R's and Dash's that I did without the hub.  I know they say that the SP hub only adds 7 watts additional resistance, but that was to much for me and I build up a mental block against the hub.  I sold the hub wheel and are now happily using batteries.   

I have just received a mail from the factory in Germany which states that these hubs are not serviced by them anymore. Seems like the hub has now become a disposable item.

Brakepad, are you up to it.....

Archived