Mattoc Pro Travel Issues

AlanD

I have one suggestion you can try before starting to rebuild/service, if it is still smooth and feels good.

Flip your bike upside down, deflate the positive air, then see if you can pull the fork on the lowers to 160mm extension. if yes - keep pulling and re-inflate to pressure.

I don't know why this works, but it did for me after i heard it somehwere.

It still feels good. I have the IRT upgrade to presurize from the top and then it's the positive chamber and then the negative chamber which is pressurized from the bottom...I think. So would I need to release the IRT pressure and pull in the fork, although it does stipulate to have the main chamber pressurized first so should not have the IRT chamber pressurised without the main chamber being pressurized.

Got the lowers off, no issues. Drained old oil and gave a wipe down.

Took the air side rod out to check it's full travel and it was, no spacers there. Put straight back in. It was at this point that I thought I'm not sure what to do now.

My neighbour, who had recently also worked on his Mattoc came round with some beers and told me something about it having a vacuum sucking the forks in.

So we put it back together ensuring no vacuum was present, added the oil, pressurized the chambers and bang

..full travel back and working smooth.

Apparently if it gets a vacuum like this, you can release it via tyre lever inserted into the dust seal...very odd.

Anyway, all sorted. Thanks for all the help.

Please don't stick things in your dust wipers. I'll almost guarantee it will create more problems than it'll solve.

Sounds like the bit that solved your problem was releasing all the air from the spring and reinflating. If it sticks down again, try that before anything else.

Please don't stick things in your dust wipers. I'll almost guarantee it will create more problems than it'll solve.

Sounds like the bit that solved your problem was releasing all the air from the spring and reinflating. If it sticks down again, try that before anything else.

Noted. Thanks.

I find a cut off bit of metal tape measure cut with a blunt pair of scissors and forced down by the seal tends to remove anything stuck there and makes a great scrrreeaaaaaatttccch sound as a bonus. 

I find a cut off bit of metal tape measure cut with a blunt pair of scissors and forced down by the seal tends to remove anything stuck there and makes a great scrrreeaaaaaatttccch sound as a bonus. 

I'm not a savage. I use the correct tools for the job. 

1200px-Screw_Driver_display.jpg

I'm not a savage. I use the correct tools for the job. 

1200px-Screw_Driver_display.jpg

The tape measure has the added bonus of cleaning all that pesky lining material from your bushings for extra initial stroke sensitivity...

Archived