Mtn bike shoes

Slowbee

At the risk of hijacking another thread, I decided to rather start one on the topic.

I am looking at buying the specalized pro mtn bike shoes. According to some sources they retail for about R900 and are great value for money.

Is this the case? Or are there other shoes to also consider?

I want something that will last sometime before needing to buy another pair.

specialized are the most comfy i've ever used. my fave pair at the moment. taken a lot of abuse. 

also own a pair of the louis garneau (montana's - at a shade over a grand). very stiff, and loads of adjustment! some peeps don't like the bling silver, but they lack style. lg also has a nice two-strap pair for about R650. pm big mig, he's the lg dude!

the adidas shoes are great, just way too pricey. 

if it's value for money and you don't want to spend that much, the olympics are fairly hard-wearing, but i found the straps too long. about R600.
holy roller2008-06-20 02:33:00

SB.... if u up in Pretoria come join us at the groenkloof ride on sunday.... got a pair of LG's UK8 if u want to have a look..... they are a year old but not badly worn.....

It depends on your feet... If you have wide feet, don't buy the sidi's without first trying them on. They can run narrow. Or find a "Mega"-fit shoe. They are wider. I have big, wide feet, and I am happy with my Shimanos. Not sure what model, 225? Very stiff and quite comfortable. For me, that is. Was about R1500 a year or two ago. They are still going strong. I have specialized road shoes and I am quite happy with them as well.

if you got wide feet go for a specialized but other than that go for louis garneu bst shoe i have ever ridden in

Sidi Dragons or Eagles are great but they'll set you back around the R2 300 mark.

Sidi Dragons or Eagles are great but they'll set you back around the R2 300 mark.

hells bells !! imagine all the shoes the DoF would want to buy to make up for that single purchase Confused, think i will give sidi's a skip .....

20080620_025707_S_06SWorksMtbBl.jpg Got me a pair of these, super comfy but damn expensive .........

20080620_025813_Merida.jpgSo use a pair of cheap Merida MTB shoes (they are related to Specialized everone keeps telling us!) for training ......

SB - sorry mate they came free with a bike that a mate bought and he let me have them for 200ZAR's so don't really know!

i bought shimano mtb shoes. They are the most comfortable shoes that i have ever had.

which ones did you get?

slowbee in the shop, what i often offer newbies is those takkie-like adidas or shimano shoes. teh sole if more pliable, so they're easier on the knees.