Silverback Stratos AL 5

Super Sywurm

Assuming that includes pedals? 

That is rather bulky. 

Aaah yes, forgot about the pedals.

Well, I ride for fun and exercise.  It is fun riding the bike and I get a bit more exercise while riding it.

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Assuming that includes pedals as per the picture? 

That is rather bulky. 

You can loose quite a measurable amount of weight by replacing seatpost, handlebars & a rim/wheel upgrade. If losing weight is important. 

It is a good looking bike. 

My future project will be to reduce the weight of the bike.

I have a wheel set that is +- 200g lighter. Just need do build it onto the boost hubs.

How does the older Sido range compared to this regarding weight ?

This is my first Silverback, somebody else should answer this question.

Hi Super, true that. On the press release for the Stratos, they said it replaces the sido and is a lighter version, so in theory, it should weigh less  :clap:

Hi Super, true that. On the press release for the Stratos, they said it replaces the sido and is a lighter version, so in theory, it should weigh less  :clap:

Weigh less than the Sido?  What?  How many tons did they weigh? :eek:

I found the article:

https://sparkbikereview.com/silverback-lands-their-entry-level-aluminium-version-of-the-stratos/

"The new Silverback Stratos AL frames are around 450g lighter than the Sido frames"

The bike is heavy, but while riding it, it doesn't feel heavy.  It feels easier to keep a higher average speed with this bike than my old hard tail (Giant XTC).  The hard tail was between 12-13kg.

But then again, with a strong headwind...

• 5 months later...

What size Rockshox do I replace the X-FUSION 02 Pro RL, 210mm x 47.5mm, B-Tune with? 

Edited by Super Sywurm

Looks like decent spec for the price. Nothing wrong with the shock. Fork is quite flexy, but if you are not hammering it every ride, it is more than adequate. I'd look at better tyres or a dropper to upgrade first. Scott Spark 960 is a bit more, but has NX Eagle a dropper and the better tyres as well as more suspension travel if you are looking at options

The 960 will compare with the AL 2 or AL3 from Silverback, also with dropper etc, NX or SX

• 3 months later...

Currently available for R19k.

Any 'concerns' / comments etc? 

Alternative suggestions will be appreciated.

Thanks 

Hi. Please post if you ever check or service the hubs. There are also no info on them. Thanks