Sticks and Stones

Delarey

I just finished watching the Dave Chappelle special on Netflix. I watched it because I heard Joe Rogan talk about it. Apparently the critics at Rotten Tomatoes gave it 0% while the audience gave it 99%. How is that possible? Well after watching it I can understand. I loved it, but can see why it goes against everything that we are supposed to say or find funny. He pokes fun it the most un PC topics possible and gets away with it. I love dark humor though.

Anyone else watch it? Which side of the fence did it fall for you?

PS. I know there is a tv program thread but for me this is not a tv program. Its a much bigger topic about the world we live in

I am surprised at the audience to be honest. Some of the stuff he said was pretty unfunny.

Being un PC is one thing, making fun of some topics is pretty crass.

Edited by IceCreamMan

Some crib notes if you did not watch the special:

Thanks for that .

I know what I'm gonna watch tonight !

I am surprised at the audience to be honest. Some of the stuff he said was pretty unfunny.

Being un PC is one thing, making fun of some topics is pretty crass.

I found almost all of it hilarious. It’s not just the live audience though. Like I said, it got 99% from the rotten tomatoes audience. Only the critics hated it. For once it was possible to see the difference between the loud minority and the silent majority. (16 critics vs 36000 audience). People are tired of being told what to think. Edited by Delarey

I have no issues with the principle. And I consider myself pretty un PC.

Some of the topics are just distasteful, laughing at molestation of children for instance.

Of course, ymmv.

Laughing at shock value is not funny.

I have no issues with the principle. And I consider myself pretty un PC.

Some of the topics are just distasteful, laughing at molestation of children for instance.

Of course, ymmv.

Laughing at shock value is not funny.

I don't think it is as simple as that. Jerry Seinfeld said in one of the episodes of Comedians in Cars getting Coffee, that there are no topics that should be off limits for comedians. However, the more offensive and off limits a topic is, the funnier the joke has to be to work. Making offensive jokes that work, is a much higher bar to clear. I think Chappelle cleared that bar.

I do agree though. Unfunny jokes about crude or sensitive topics deserve to bomb hard.

Have to wonder what the implications would be if that was produced and aired in SA.

From my understanding the new hate speech act covers pretty much everything and the comedians are up in arms about it affecting their ability to poke fun.

Have to wonder what the implications would be if that was produced and aired in SA.

From my understanding the new hate speech act covers pretty much everything and the comedians are up in arms about it affecting their ability to poke fun.

It's weird though that even in the US there are still limits. White comedians would not dare to use the N-word in a joke. I find that very weird. Surely if Chappelle can joke about all the things he jokes about (without a single bleeped out word from Netflix), then the N-word should not be as off limits to white comedians as it is.

It's weird though that even in the US there are still limits. White comedians would not dare to use the N-word in a joke. I find that very weird. Surely if Chappelle can joke about all the things he jokes about (without a single bleeped out word from Netflix), then the N-word should not be as off limits to white comedians as it is.

you cant even say the word, now that's funny.

one point he did make though, and it kinda hit the bone. IS when he spoke about the gay ppl and someone in his entourage said he cant say that cos he aint gay. His retort was , I say nigga a lot and I aint one.

That was reality.

*now, for the life of me I cant remember if this was in sticks and stones or epilogue.

Edited by IceCreamMan

one point he did make though, and it kinda hit the bone. IS when he spoke about the gay ppl and someone in his entourage said he cant say that cos he aint gay. His retort was , I say nigga a lot and I aint one.

That was reality.

*now, for the life of me I cant remember if this was in sticks and stones or epilogue.

Yes it was in Sticks and Stones. I also thought that was a brilliant punchline.

Edited by Delarey

That was reality.

Your spelling of the n-word reminded me of a Bill Burr bit where a guy in a bar dropped the n-bomb on him. He pointed out that it was the one with the R and not the A and he landed the R hard. Damn funny bit.