MTB KZN Rides, Hillcrest area

idrive

I'm off to Durban and have got all day Friday to go riding and a few hours on Sat morning.

Looking for something simple between Hillcrest & Lion Park area .....

I don'ytknow Giga Gorge and don't really like lap type routes.

You can spend 2 hours in Giba without riding over the same piece of singletrack.  Go there and ask the guides to take you on a tour over the waterfall and then up to the top quarry.

Thanks linnega ..... I googled it and I reckon I'll spend Friday there.

I thought it was a lil old quarry.

I went for a long walk with the dogs in Giba over the weekend - man did I wish I had taken my mtbike to Hillcrest!! You'll enjoy it!

Forget the sugarcane around Hillcrest. Giba is the place to be! 35km's of singletrack heaven and some amazing freeride areas if you are brave!

definatly try Giba. I was there last week and it was awsome. take family and friends along and have a good lunch or something at the

restaurant.

I might be back ther on sat afternoon if you still gonna be there and want to do a ride. 

There is a race there Sat afternoon and Cyclelabs new store opening - I think the routes are closed for the race.

giba is overrated.... come ride with the real MTBers of the hillcrest area and do some of the tough Hill2Hill route... if you dare smiley36.gif

Sat morning would suit me for Hillcrest as I have to be at Idube in the afternoon ..... where do you meet or where do you ride?

The land in the Hillcrest area is almost all privately owned.  Please make sure you ride only where you are allowed to.  Ask at one of the local shops if you are unsure (eg Maverick in Hillcrest).

Giba is great, and they always have some track open even if another event is on (there isn't a calendar race on at Giba this weekend and as far as I know all tracks wil be open)

The canefields are mostly owned by Tongaat Hulett Sugar (THS), who allow riders licenced through Ethekweni Mtb Assoc http://www.emba.org.za/ to ride on demarcated tracks (not as nice as Giba).  But they are very strict and don't allow any deviation from the licence requirement, or the demaracted tracks or their riding times.  They have jusr agreed to allow limited temporary licences, contact Margie Gallagher (see details on website) if you want one.

Its taken ages to get THS to allow mtb and its only been possible because we have been able to convince them that mtb-ers are a law-abiding responsible lot. If the THS model is successful it may be applied to other corparate owned property & open up a lot more areas to legal riding so please (everyone) don't take a chance and just ride.

I'm sorry if I misled - trails at Giba will be closed on Saturday afternoon, but anyone can ride the race which has caused the traisl to be closed, 25kms including new singletrack -

Trail closure:

Please note that all park trails will be closed between the hours of 12:00 hrs and 15:00 hrs on

Saturday the 28th June. This is due to the 7km Fun race (formerly 10km) and the 25km Giba

Challenge. This race is open to everyone of every level, so please feel free to get involved in the action

and join us in one of these two races.